double-hungs and sliding door for small upstate NY house.

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
crayolab

double-hungs and sliding door for small upstate NY house.

#1 Post by crayolab »

hello window geniuses,

i am the owner of a former one-room schoolhouse (late 19th-century) in upstate new york, delaware county, a place of frigid winters and much wind and snow. my woodframe house has many wood-framed windows and skylights, most of which are in great shape, but this fall i must replace the glass on one entire side of the house, which faces east and takes the most beating from sun/wind/snow yearround, which is why i have decided to most likely go with non-wood windows for the replacements. i am going to replace two largish double-hung windows, as well as a set of 6' out-opening french doors, which i want to change to a sliding door. no lights, no grilles, just wide-open glass.

because i am in a rural area and want to support the economy here, i will probably go with a local contractor to put in the windows and door. i have several recommendations from friends and have lined them up to come give me quotes. i realize that the installation is as or more important than the windows i buy. i'm hoping i'll choose the right guy.

any recommendations on makers of windows for this scenario? my priorities:

-i want the energy tax break
-i want to lower my astronomical electric heating bill
-i'd love some solar benefits
-i'd like fiberglass, composite or vinyl outside, wood or wood-look inside (white in color both sides)
-i want a top-notch warranty
-i'd like to get the job done for something in the $3000 range
-i want good-looking hardware
-(i'd appreciate a good-looking installer, too, but that's not a must)

i've had one guy here who buys PlyGem windows and doors from a local discounter; i've researched and these sound okay, as long as i go for the premium line, but i'm not blown away by the reviews. would appreciate any thoughts you have on other brands that can be sourced locally and are currently in good business standing. i have been reading old threads and thought i wanted schüco (i do like german engineering), but then . . . i guess not. i thought andersen was good . . . but apparently not. anyone have experience with marvin integrity? accurate dorwin? fibertec? inline? i'm not even sure yet what can be sourced in my area, and if i can possibly afford any of these fiberglass/composite options.

who's on top these days and can give me great quality, good value and a nice classically modern look for my old but very stylish little shack? oh, and if you have installer recommendations between kingston and oneonta NY, by all means.

thanks!

crayolab