Simonton Prism / Great Lakes

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
dgjk70

Simonton Prism / Great Lakes

#1 Post by dgjk70 »

I would like more information on the quality of Simonton Prism windows ni relation to Great Lakes and Sunrise Premier. Any input would be appreciated.

I received a quote of $4410 for 7 Simonton Prism casement windows (including installation). It was only $3203 without installation. I thought the windows seemed to be pretty good quality but the quote seems fairly inexpensive so it makes me wonder if this is a cheap window. I liked them better than the Sunrise Premier.

I also received a quote for 7 Great Lakes windows at $13961. Are the Great Lakes that much better quality to justify spending nearly $10000 more?

How much benefit is triple (GL) vs. double (simonton) pane?

We also received a quote of $9708 for Sunrise premeier windows. Installation prices varied greatly between the various companies, from $1100 to $3969. That seems like a huge variation for installing the same number of windows. Any comments?

Marc Sylvain

#2 Post by Marc Sylvain »

I would consider Greatlakes windows to be better than Simonton. Of course I am a Greatlakes dealer, but I used to sell Simonton. The price should not be higher though. Depending on the type of windows....the prices should be very close. That being said......if you were given a price on the cheapest Simonton window and the best Greatlakes window the price would be quite a bit higher. I'm not sure where the prism stands but Greatlakes best or most expensive would be Uniframe, then Plygem, then Gold, and the cheapest or lowest price Greatlakes window would be Monitor.

Hope this helps
Marc

Benny

#3 Post by Benny »

That's quite a price difference, I would definitely check the specific line of great lakes windows you are being quoted and compare specifications between the two. As a homeowner who is currently in process of getting replacment windows and siding, I was quoted great lakes gold series, but started looking at several other window brands to see the asthetic differences, operational differences, as well as researched the energy star ratings on this website and others, and I actually found I liked simonton's look & feel better than the great lakes. with the simontons (at least the 5500 series) there's a bit more styling to the sash & the window glazing (the vinyl portion immediately around the window) and I felt that operationally, they were similar but there were a few details that pushed my decision toward simonton. You can get a lot of great info on here, maybe more than you would ever need to know about windows, hopefully you'll find your answers. Good Luck!

dgjk70

#4 Post by dgjk70 »

We receive another quote for the exact same Great lakes windows last night and it was under $8000 for the Uniframe, triple frame casement windows with golden oak interior. That's almost a $4000 difference. Comparing these with the Sunrise Premier and Simonton Prism I think we may go this route even though cost wise, the Simonton are still quite a bit less expensive. Thanks.