Went with Schuco vs Renewal and Quantum 2

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
b-more

Went with Schuco vs Renewal and Quantum 2

#1 Post by b-more »

I just wanted to say that I made the decision and got the Schuco window 4000. The quote was 14K for 17 28x61 windows ($830 each), installed with wrapping/caulk, no grid, white. It has a 5 Year labor (installation) warranty from AES (the dealer). This dealer has a BBB Torch Award (good I suppose). If we are not satisfied, we can call the president of the company (AES) ... he gave us his number. Sounds hokey but nice touch. My wife and I liked the window a lot and the salesman was great. He was a seasoned man with experience. Actually he had a lot to do with the deal. Plus the price seemed ok ... a little high IMO. I was hoping it would be around 10K but he wouldn't go down any further because we are only getting 8 done now and 9 done later this year. I lost my advantage but at least I get the same price for the other 9 windows.

We looked at the Quantum 2 (started at 23K! then to 15K) and the Renewal by Anderson (13K). Schuco came in the middle and seemed like the best window. The heat test results were the same for the Quantum 2 and the Schuco but since Schuco doesn't have the heat mirror film, I don't have to worry about it wrinkling. Renewal by Anderson did not do a heat test. The the Renewal looked very nice and probably would win in aesthetics but the efficiency and noise reduction of Schuco out-weighed aesthetics. Don't get me wrong the Schuco window looks great but it does take up more glass than the Renewal.

Installation is to occur in April 2005.

Schuco warranty is a limited lifetime. Full through 20 years, after that buyer pays a percentage of cost of contract. 80% for 21 - 30 years, 90% thereafter. The warranty is transferable up to 5 years from contract and costs $75 to transfer within one month of closing of new home buyer. One thing that might be an issue is if condensation damages the window seals then it's not covered. This might be a non-issue and I might not have all the information on what that means.

Feel free to comment.

Special thanks to Dave and Fenex. Very informative.

FenEx

#2 Post by FenEx »

Congrats again. The mention of condensation in the warranty refers to humidity condensating on the outer glass surfaces of the I.G. This can happen on any surface depending on the humidity and temperature inside or outside a home. The TPS seals are not affected by moisture and you are indeed covered by the warranty. You are welcome... enjoy your new windows.

FenEx