should I repace windows?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
roboh

should I repace windows?

#1 Post by roboh »

I recently bought a house that is 8 years old. I have been extremely diappointed in its winter performance. I am searching for advise as to whether replacing the windows would be beneficial.

I have a thermometer that I place on my wall that shows me that it is 68 degrees in the house. I placed that thermometer next to the window where it read 59 degrees (the windows have plastic on them also). although temp is kept ot 68-70 degrees, there is a constant chill in the air.

The windows are double paned vinyl but I am sure that they are "cheap". I have run out of thought...Please help.

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

You may want to pull off your inside trim first. Many times a home is built the insulation guys forget windows. You should have insulation between the frame and studs. Make sure it's there before doubting the windows performance. If it's there then get new ones. A home energy audit would be the best thing to get first. Good Luck!!!

roboh

#3 Post by roboh »

Thanks... Behind the trim of the windows is completely dry-walled. so unless I drill into or remove the dry wall I won't know. Is this advisable? My guess is that it is not insulated, since last year I replaced a patio door and it (and the other doors in the house) was not insluated around.

Should I tear of the siding and caulk around the windows outside, or would the insulation be better option?

By the way, where can I get a home energy audit? How much do they cost? I've thought about it, but didn't know where to start.

Guy

#4 Post by Guy »

Well if your doors weren't insulated I'm sure the windows weren't either. I'll bank on that as most of your issue. You can get a home energy audit from your local public utilities. They are usually tapped into who is providing them and how much. I'd say between $200 - $300 would be the ballpark cost. Some utilities are helping with some of the costs.

Whatever you do don't tear off the outside brickmolding or fin. As I know your windows aren't screwed in place and this is what holds them in place. You'll have to attack this from the inside. I would also get an attorney and go back after the people who sold you your home. I know most states have liability clauses that protect you from these unforscene issues. THis way someone else can foot the bill and do the work. You can sit back in the lazy boy with a cold beverage of your choice and Supervise! You may have to pull one apart and take pictures to proove your case first. Most builders today are on the hook for the first ten years in some states. So check into it. You may be glad you did. Good Luck!!!

SoCalWindowMan

Who is the manufacturer?

#5 Post by SoCalWindowMan »

See if they were installed right. Each manufacture will tell you if they were. They might just be crappy dual pane windows that builders use these days to get the job done. In California I replace windows in homes that are less then 3 years old all the time.

All Dual Pane Windows are not created equal.