An inexpensive window that will last

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
mecdatlanta

An inexpensive window that will last

#1 Post by mecdatlanta »

Greetings!

I am looking to replace my single pane windows that need to be reglazed, are impossible to open, and would otherwise need to be painted. Seems like a good time to replace them to me.

I have been looking at all the posts, and I get the impression that each installer has a preferred window. Many are no doubt presented due to the fact that they happen to be what they are selling. Many, I am sure, are honest-to-goodness opinions in terms of which window they feel is the "best".

I am looking for a lower-end window that will reasonbly hold up over time, provide better energy efficiency (not hard to do coming from the windows I currently have), and won't break the bank. We live in Atlanta and need to replace 26 windows.

Today, I was quoted $270 for a double-hung Jeld Wen Caradco. The window looks great, and has the profile (raised) grid inside the two panes, low-e coating, and argon filled. They are also wooden with aluminum clad and painted white on the inside.

A good choice?

Thanks in advance,

Don

JScott

Atlanta

#2 Post by JScott »

Did you go to Home Depot and get a quote for Zap-Paks. There are many more durable brands( like most all others). If your frames are square these work okay, if you want easy tilt this isn't it. Sash replacement kits are generally less expensive than vinyl units. Look a little more and good luck.