New windows - Kansas City

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
whoiswes

New windows - Kansas City

#1 Post by whoiswes »

Hello all,

I stumbled across this site while looking for some information regarding new windows for my 1964 S/S Split in Kansas City. We currently have some rather nasty single-pane aluminum framed sliders that have actually been proven to have a negative R value (negative R value works better than U factor of infinity).

Anyways, there are 13 windows on the upper floor we would want to replace, and they are currently setup as 4' wide x 2' high sliders, about four feet off the floor. There is no interior casing on the windows - they just nail up to the outside of the framing and are finished with drywall on the inside. When we replace them, we will be cutting the entire frame out, as there is over an inch of uninsulated space around the perimeter of each window - in short, we will have rectangular openings with the bare studs exposed when we put the new windows in.

We will be in this house anywhere from 2 to 5 more years, possibly longer, and are remodeling the bulk of the house as we have the time and money. Windows (and a new sliding door) are on the top of the list, as we literally cannot keep heat in the house - the windows leak that badly.

I am looking to do the bulk of the work myself (I am quite handy and have framing, plumbing, and electrical experience, just no window install experience), and I have three main questions, the first being the most important.

1. I have been to the local building supply store, and I can pick up some basic Milgard's for about $220 per, delivered (not installed). I know Milgard isn't the best brand out there, but, for that kind of money, I don't think they can be beat. I could spend much more money but end up with only a marginally better window - I'm looking for the 'best buy' of windows at this point. For our next house (building, probably) we'll go top of the line. I wanted some opinions regarding the Milgards, for that price.

2. Sliders or single/double hungs? Which would you prefer and why?

3. I have never truly understood how replacement windows are installed, especially in situations like mine - leaving the uninsulated aluminum frame in place would be completely counterproductive - so when the existing frames are cut out, how would new windows be installed? We have aluminum siding with flashing that butts right up to the window edge, and the original wood siding under that - the current windows are obviously nailed to the sheathing, so what would be the most efficient and best way to install a window in this situation? I have no problems taking siding down or getting creative - I just am not sure of the best way to tackle this, as it's not a standard type of install.

If pictures would help of our current setup, I will gladly snap some.

Wes
KC, MO

whoiswes

#2 Post by whoiswes »

wow, i'm replying to my own post.

anyways, i went down to the local building supply store, and after about an hours worth of conversation with a very helpful employee, i've modified my plans slightly.

we will be installing milgard awning windows, and will probably leave the window size as it is and not enlarge the openings, as much as i want to.

i was quoted $189 per window (wow!) and only $700 for a new sliding glass door (8' wide, standard height) - so we will come in well under budget. looking at the casement they had on display, i was fairly impressed with the quality of the seals and the overall construction - it was a nice solid window, especially compared to some of the crap i've seen at HD, Lowes, etc.

i would still be interested in anyone's input on my little project - i will not be ordering the windows for another month or so (have to get our basement bathroom installed and finished first).

thanks!

wes