Water in Slider track

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jmb5182

Water in Slider track

#1 Post by jmb5182 »

I purchased 11 Gorell windows in August. I am satisfied with windows for keeping cold out, heat in but everytime it rains all the 7 sliders inside tracks fill with water. The installer came and drilled weep holes larger on inside per Gorell but last week they ALL filled again. The water lasts in tracks some for days. Should I be concerned or is this normal? I have to be honest it does not feel normal. Seems to me some of water comes through felt above track. You helped me when I was purchasing windows and I went with your recommendation and really am not unhappy but am concerned about this problem.
Thanks Janet

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Water in Slider track

#2 Post by masterext »

are they "tilt in" sliders?

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The question remains to be answered, "tilt in sliders" or std lift in sliders.

It is inherent to the design of sliders that you will get water in the bottom track. As long as that water weeps to the exterior all is ok.

buddy11

#4 Post by buddy11 »

If they are Gorell tilt & slides then yes, that is a normal function. Standard sliders (Gorell) don't normally fill with water.

jmb5182

#5 Post by jmb5182 »

they are not tilt in sliders as far as I know. Rep from Gorell coming Wed at noon. What should I ask him?
water stays in "inside track" for about day! leaves a little dirt behind.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Another variable, check the window and the wall for plumb.
Not being plumb could cause the water to stay longer than normal.

uto

#7 Post by uto »

Curious as to why some dealers on this forum feel water drainage thru the bottom sill on a slider is acceptable but not acceptable in a single or double hung window?

buddy11

#8 Post by buddy11 »

uto wrote:Curious as to why some dealers on this forum feel water drainage thru the bottom sill on a slider is acceptable but not acceptable in a single or double hung window?
It's part of the design of a tilt n slide. No one said it was acceptable, we said that's how those windows function.

uto

#9 Post by uto »

You missed my point. I was comparing the drainage systems on lift out sliders to the same drainage system on many single/double hungs.
The single/double hungs with the same drainage system as take out sliders has been denigrated many times on this forum.

buddy11

#10 Post by buddy11 »

uto wrote:You missed my point. I was comparing the drainage systems on lift out sliders to the same drainage system on many single/double hungs.
The single/double hungs with the same drainage system as take out sliders has been denigrated many times on this forum.

ok

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yep, I do not prefer sliders because of the drainage and higher AL.
But the Drainage in the units I sell are not through the entire sill section, just out of the top tracks, which can be inspected and cleaned.