Comparing Gorell & Simonton for Florida home

Share your experiences with others
sheshopsalot

Comparing Gorell & Simonton for Florida home

#1 Post by sheshopsalot »

I am looking for hurricane protection and personal security features as well as energy savings.
(trying to get house electric usage low before looking into solar panels to get off the grid)
I am also a big believer in Strong Warranties.

I am comparing the Simonton Stormbreaker Plus 300VL to Gorell Armor Max Plus.
I am having trouble finding comparable data.
Is there a place I can get a reliable objective comparison?

I guess the U rating is what I should be looking for to compare the energy savings, right?
And the DP rating for strength? What is most important?
So is there a website where someone compares these windows ratings?

The Stormbreaker looked good until I read the warranty - which changes over time
(I hate it when salesmen mislead you - then you find out - makes you not trust anything they said!)

If I read the Gorell warranty correctly, humidity between the windows is covered, right? or is it just dust?
If foggy windows is covered that is an awesome warranty!

Other wise, in the showroom the Simonton which I liked until then, was SO difficult to unlock and raise.
I love the new latches on the Gorell, the new invisible screen, and I could unlock and raise it with 2 fingers!
Since I plan to retire in this home, I am going for AMA ease of use on all upgrades - this is a big deal.

I still waiting on a quote, but was led to believe it will be 10% lower than the Simonton.

Any advice or resources on comparing these two?

dhaley

Re: Comparing Gorell & Simonton for Florida home

#2 Post by dhaley »

Did you receive info and/or make a purchase of the hurricane impact windows you were considering? I am comparing Gorell Armor Max Plus to Custom Window Systems Wind Pact product. I appreciate any insight you can provide.

TLHWINDOW

Re: Comparing Gorell & Simonton for Florida home

#3 Post by TLHWINDOW »

dhaley wrote:Did you receive info and/or make a purchase of the hurricane impact windows you were considering? I am comparing Gorell Armor Max Plus to Custom Window Systems Wind Pact product. I appreciate any insight you can provide.
Simonton Stormbreakers are terrible in my opinion. I don't like their looks, and they way the re-enforce their window is less than desired.

Gorell AMP is a good window, a little heavy on the vinyl, but a better window compared to Simonton.

Gorell's warranty should cover Lifetime on the vinyl and 50 years on the glass (incl accidental breakage).