soft lite vs. simonton

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
phonetic man

soft lite vs. simonton

#1 Post by phonetic man »

I have been getting quotes from some contractors and it seems like it has come down to one vendor offering soft lite windows and the other offering simonton. Does anyone have any insight into one or hopefully both of these types of windows? Thanks.

fwfa

#2 Post by fwfa »

We had Owens Corning windows (Actually made by Simonton) installed about 4 years ago and boy what a change it made in our house for air and sound infiltrartion. The windows have a great warranty and are very nice compared to some of the others that we have seen.
The only problem with them is that they do not slide real smooth. The windows are tight and it takes a little more than normal force to open them. We are currently in the process of building a new home and after about 2 months at looking at new construction vinyl windows we are going back to Simonton again.
Good Luck :)

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

They may have been shimmed too tight or had too much insulation stuffed in around them if they are so tight. If so, the problem can be fixed easily. It's nice to see you are happy with your windows except for that.

Guy

#4 Post by Guy »

Simonton over Soft-lite any day of the week. Look back at some of the Soft-lite reviews on this board.

fwfa, Your Owens Corning or Mosaic windows from Simonton were one of the best you could get back then. If they are hard lifting I agree with W4U on that one. They probably didn't screw down the center of the frame and over stuffed them with insulation. Over shimming will also cause this hard lift. The gaps between your sash and frame where the pile weatherstrip rubs should be the same. When you lift the sash it must stay consistant or it can rub the sash. Usually a couple screws can take this away. It's one of my biggest pet peaves with my installers. That gap must be perfect in every way possible. If not they get Pimp Slapped!!(JK) Most manufacturers today put a big red sticker telling the installer to shim and screw that location.

Your new house should require a new construction window with nailing fins. I remember back when the Mosaic window had the snap on nailing fins. This was the worst application for a window I have ever seen. Steer clear of that if it's offered to you. I think OC has pulled away from Simonton in the past couple years. Bill would know better there. Just make sure you get a window with an extruded fin attached to the frame. It is the best way to go. Good Luck on your new home!!

MikeD

#5 Post by MikeD »

Guy, Are you saying to stay away from using any brands (including good ones) that has snap on nailing fins commonly used on replacement windows for new construct homes? I'd be disappointed as there are more upgraded options for quality replacement windows than for new construct windows with intregral nailing fins. Go figure!?! :?

I agree about preferring Simonton over Soft-lite. I accidently broke the cheap cast tab when I tried to reattached a double hung sash at a Soft-lite dealer. Hmm, no thanks!

Guy

#6 Post by Guy »

So far I haven't seen anything that has been worthy here in MN. Everytime we have used them they are hell to seal up right. I'm not saying there isn't a proven method out there. I'm just saying I haven't seen it yet. I just feel your better off with a molded fin. Less chance of leaking. As a business owner who pays huge money every year for insurance and bonding. The last thing I need is a window with the potential to leak. That would make a real bad day! So I stay away from them.

Benny

#7 Post by Benny »

maybe Bill can chime in on this one, but that's disappointing since I've ordered the simonton 5500 series with the snap-on fin (from what I've been told this window is not offered with an intregal fin). Is it possible for the installer to run a bead of silicone in the snap channel to seal it? I would imagine that there's not a problem with the attachment aspect as it will be screwed to the wall on the outside as well as the inside, so the windows won't just fall out, but now I am concerned about the sealing part of it.

Bill

#8 Post by Bill »

We haven’t had any leaking problems with the snap on fin and we have them out in the field for about eight years now without incident. I’m actually down in Key West now with the Simonton people for meetings I will ask some of the other dealers if they have had problems.

Simonton actually owns the Owens Corning name as it applies to windows; Simonton decided to take the OC logo off their best windows (Mosaic) and made it a Simonton branded product (Impressions).
Simonton still produces the Owens Corning Luminess 4500 which is a Reflections 50/50 and a Luminess new construction line that is the ProFinish they are sold mostly in lumber yards.

Bill

Benny

#9 Post by Benny »

well I guess I should have gotten the integrated j-channel on my 5500's. Apparently, the supplier didn't order the snap-on fins when they ordered the windows, and the worst part is that the installer already had 2 down to rough opening before I pointed out that there were no nailing fins, and guys on the truck said there was nothing else on the truck. That being said, I really like my 2 new windows so far! Can't wait till the rest are in (which is tomorrow) and my siding and soffit is finished.

I do feel the installer jumped the gun a bit, he probably should have gone through all of the windows and double checked them when they arrived before ripping into the old ones. I'll see how the rest goes, hopefully it'll all turn out for the best.

Benny

#10 Post by Benny »

snap on fins arrived today, and install is progressing, can't wait to check out the windows when I get home.

btw, here's the specs (what I remember anyway) on the windows
simonton 5500
w/snap-on nailing fins for rough opening install
dbl pane low-e argon filled, with double strength glass w/grids
3/4" IG w/superspacer (although it looks to be more like 7/8" to my eye)

u-factor .34 (not great, but will be serviceable)
shgc .28 +/- (can't remember for certain)
vt .44 +/- (also can't remember for certain)
dp +25/-25
these numbers are true for every window I have, regardless of size
I'll dbl check the numbers and correct them if necessary

comparing them to what I believe are ultimate-2000 windows (my old ones) I think that the u-2000 maybe had 5/8" IG w/U shaped spacer - my guess it was tin coated steel, these were cheapo windows, spiral balances (no wonder they opened so hard), don't even think they were argon filled, at least when comparing how cold the glass felt between the new and old windows, there is a huge difference in the cold (or lack thereof) radiating from my new windows.

the worst part was, and probably the biggest reason for my poor heating bills was that half of my old windows didn't even have insulation between the old wood frame and the rough opening (these were insert style), literally, there was a 1" gap between the top of my bedroom frame and the r.o. and I could see the 3/8" polyfoam insulation they had put on the exterior for my new siding. Almost all of my windows were like this. Another thing we noticed was in my basement windows (split level house) that there was no plate between the old frames & my cinder blocks! they put the wood frame windows directly on the cinder block! so my installer is going to put down a piece of green-treated for a plate, so at least air wont leak through there anymore. Ah, good 'ol 70's construction - the era of nbc (no building codes) :shock:

Benny

#11 Post by Benny »

I double checked the labels and here are the correct specs:

low-e argon superspacer w/grids
u-factor .34 (not great, but will be serviceable)
shgc .25 sliders/.26 dbl hungs
vt .44 sliders/.43 dbl hungs
dp +20/-20 for sliders & +25/-25 for dbl hungs

typical slider size 54w x 48h +/-
dbl hungs 34w x 40h

I know these aren't schuco numbers, but I couldn't afford them. I would've loved to have them though. I think these will serve me well, especially when compared to my previous windows. :)

mnlaker

simonton

#12 Post by mnlaker »

going to simonton with the 9800 3 pane with snap in fins would be your best choice

badguy

#13 Post by badguy »

To MikeD:

What is/where is/purpose of the cast tab on the soft-lite double hung sash?

Thanks