Softlite Elements

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
commodore

Softlite Elements

#1 Post by commodore »

Hi Everyone. Just wanted to get some confimation that I didn't spend way too much on new windows. Met with the local Softlite rep last night and ended up getting 10 of the Elements windows with woodgrain and triple pane glass. We paid $8277 installed. The installer has been in business for 58 years and has an excellent reputation. I am in Minnesota.

All windows are sliders. 9 of the windows are roughly 54x54 and the big one is 100x55.

We had quotes from a Revere dealer for $7000 and Home Depot wanted close to $9500 for the house brand which I believe is Simonton.

I know the elements are a great window based on what I have seen here and other places. I guess I am just looking for an expert opinion from you guys.

House was built in 1984, so no lead paint issues. We are replacing the original builder grade single pane glass that leaks like a sieve. Hoping that we will see a huge difference with these windows and the new furnace/AC we put in last summer.

Thanks in advance for the help.

HomeSealed

Re: Softlite Elements

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

With woodgrain and triple pane, that price does not seem out of line on a very nice product. As far as energy savings, you might look into getting an energy audit done. Obviously your windows and hvac should check out well, but you probably won't maximize your savings without insulation/air sealing in your attic and basement/crawlspace. An audit pinpoints the areas in need of improvement, and many states have programs where you can actually get cash back on them.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote:With woodgrain and triple pane, that price does not seem out of line on a very nice product. As far as energy savings, you might look into getting an energy audit done. Obviously your windows and hvac should check out well, but you probably won't maximize your savings without insulation/air sealing in your attic and basement/crawlspace. An audit pinpoints the areas in need of improvement, and many states have programs where you can actually get cash back on them.
+1

That is an expensive window with those options and I second the advice to look into an audit.

commodore

#4 Post by commodore »

A home Energy audit is definitely next oon my list. Unfortunately, the previous homeowner fancied himself a bit of a handyman. Let's just say he has a few shortcomings. Needless to say there are a lot of minor things that need fixing, including some of the windows he tried to "manipulate".

I will let everyone know about any saving I see after the windows are in and the audit is done.

The windows won't be in for 6-8 weeks according to the installer. Should I wait until after they come in to do the audit?

Thanks again

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

I would get the audit after they are done since you've already committed to that purchase. The good news, is that windows and hvac are probably the most expensive aspects of home performance, so the remaining improvements like the above mentioned air-sealing, insulation, ventilation, etc should really generate good "bang for the buck".... The only thing that I would caution you on, is not to expect huge savings until you complete the "total package". Air-tight windows without the rest of the home properly insulated/sealed will just cause even more air infiltration from other areas.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Seems like a fair price for what you are getting.