No wrap on sides of windows.

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
LuluNC

No wrap on sides of windows.

#1 Post by LuluNC »

I got my vinyl replacement windows installed yesterday. The exterior wrap covers the front of the frame, wraps the sill, goes up to the drip trim piece on top (not caulked). Along the sides of the window frame, there is no wrap. My old wood trim is exposed on the side and on some windows the gap between the wrap and the frame is quite noticeable from the side. One reason I got windows is so I wouldn't have to paint trim. I still do with these, besides what looks to me like an invitation for water getting in there and insects.
I asked the installers about this and they assured me that's the way it's done. I have lap siding and some of it is asbestos. They told me that they need at least 1/2 inch to make a bend and that they can't/don't notch the vinyl covered aluminum to meet the siding.
I accepted that and paid them the final payment, purposely with AmEx so I could dispute the charge if I felt the need - I just had a feeling. Today a carpenter/painter friend of mine called to say he wanted to show me something about my windows and that lack of side wrap is exactly what he showed me. Said he's never seen it done that way and that it's not right.
What do you think?

Skydawggy.

Re: No wrap on sides of windows.

#2 Post by Skydawggy. »

This is unusual. Sounds to me like they didn't want to take the time to do it right. I'd call them up and tell them if they don't come right out and do it right that you are going to dispute the charge and you don't want to hear any excuses.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

I can't say for sure without a pic, but by your description, it sounds like some lazy hacks who dont want to take the extra time to do things properly. What kind of windows and what did you pay? Often times, you get what you pay for. :oops:

LuluNC

#4 Post by LuluNC »

I'm not sure prices are the same across the country so I don't know that telling you the dollar amount I paid would be meaningful, but this company (a local franchise of a national chain) came well recommended and is one of the leading window companies in our area. I checked reviews and in some regions, they didn't score as well but in my area they did. I can't afford top of the line but I also make it a point to do my research and not buy junk. They are Energy Star, double glazed, Argon, Low E, solid vinyl, U-Factor .32, Solar Heat coefficient .27, visible transmittance .50.
Is there anything in that information that indicates to you the quality (or lack thereof) of my windows? I love the windows themselves, it's the wrap that's the problem and maybe this is the installers and not necessarily the company's method?

Skydawggy.

#5 Post by Skydawggy. »

Why so cryptic about who you bought the windows from?

LuluNC

#6 Post by LuluNC »

Nobody asked me - Window World.

win1

#7 Post by win1 »

That explains it :shock:

LuluNC

#8 Post by LuluNC »

Can you be a bit more specific, win1? As I said, I did research and I have actual neighbors right down the street and another a few blocks away who are very happy with what they got from Window World. And other people I've talked with over the last few years since I've been thinking about this project have had great things to say. My neighbors have brick which makes that wrap a bit different but how would a consumer be able to predict this kind of situation? I feel like I've been duped but at the same time, I did all the right things to check them out. Or so I thought......

And generally, isn't there a minimum workmanship standard that any company must adhere to? Since they claim that this is the way it's done, I'd like to ask them to put me in touch with another customer who has this same installation "style" and see how they feel after having them that way for a period of time.

Skydawggy.

#9 Post by Skydawggy. »

They have your money. Now they just want you to go away, be quiet, and not make trouble for them. They aren't going to supply you with any names of customers. They aren't going to do anything for you.

LuluNC

#10 Post by LuluNC »

Well, American Express has the money and I will dispute the charge. I've just talked with a contractor I know who will come and look today.
I may have been fooled, but I do not lay down quietly so they have not heard the last from me. I'm a squeaky wheel type.

Skydawggy.

#11 Post by Skydawggy. »

Good for you. I wouldn't put up with this type of treatment from a shady contractor like this either. You should call Window Worlds home office and complain as well as file a complaint with the BBB. Hopefully, others won't make the same mistake.

LuluNC

#12 Post by LuluNC »

I've started the dispute with AmEx and called the (local) WW office and the manager who is in charge of the installers is coming over this afternoon to see what I'm unhappy with. Says he will make it right and that he takes it very seriously. We'll see.

Samantha77

#13 Post by Samantha77 »

I'd say it's good to give them a chance to fix it for you before you go to the BBB or anywhere else. We've all had an installer make a mistake or forget something. The important thing is how they address your concern.

So, my advice would be to let the supervisor come out and address things and if they are helpful then you're in good shape. If not, then proceed down the road of BBB and attorney general and so on.

Try to keep a positive attitude. It's always easier to help a customer through an issue like this when they are approaching the issue in a constructive way rather than attacking.

LuluNC

#14 Post by LuluNC »

I agree with you Samantha - just the fact that the manager was respectful and seemed to be concerned was enough to lower my blood pressure and diffuse my potential anger.
The truth will be in the follow thru - I'll keep you posted.

win1

#15 Post by win1 »

I think that is excellent advise from Samantha and I agree-Give them a chance to make it right.