Milgard VS IWC

Share your experiences with others
cec

Milgard VS IWC

#1 Post by cec »

Has anyone compared Milgard aluminum double pane windows to the IWC windows with thermal break?

Windows on Washington

Re: Milgard VS IWC

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I don't have any experience with IWC. I do have Milgard's in my home and they have been pretty good once the initial bugs were worked out.

cec

#3 Post by cec »

Milgard does not have a thermal break. Do you have high winds and if so, do you have any air leakage at the top and bottom of your slider windows and doors when the wind is blowing hard?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Milgard does have a foam option but it is not a true thermally broken window.

I have not had any air leakage issues.

SuperiorW&D

#5 Post by SuperiorW&D »

cec

#6 Post by cec »

Yes, I did buy from IWC and I am happy I did. They are white inside and have a thermal break, while Milgard has neither. The patio door does have a little air leak at the top and and bottom only when there is a very strong wind. I believe it is a trade off and if I had to make the decision today I would go with IWC rather than Milgard. I am speaking of the double pane aluminum windows and not vinyl.

What experience do you have with either IWC or Milgard aluminum windows?

SuperiorW&D

#7 Post by SuperiorW&D »

cec wrote:Yes, I did buy from IWC and I am happy I did. They are white inside and have a thermal break, while Milgard has neither. The patio door does have a little air leak at the top and and bottom only when there is a very strong wind. I believe it is a trade off and if I had to make the decision today I would go with IWC rather than Milgard. I am speaking of the double pane aluminum windows and not vinyl.

What experience do you have with either IWC or Milgard aluminum windows?
I have actually sold both and have no problems with either product except for the fact that they are aluminum. Meaning they are made from material that is bad for the environment and they are not as energy efficient as other windows that cost less.

That being said, I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news (see the link I posted above) as IWC has shut their doors. I believe this leaves you, and many others, with no warranty.

cec

#8 Post by cec »

I certainly am sorry to hear about the IWC bankruptcy and losing a warranty. This company had been in business for 50 years. However, with aluminum frames I'm not sure I will ever need it. One good thing is that they do not require much maintenance. I agree with you as far as Aluminum frames go, but I live in a condominium and fought the Architectural committee for two years trying to get them to approve something else.

Is your feed back from customers that have bought IWC aluminum VS Milggard aluminum about the same(i.e. is one about as happy or unhappy as the other)? From my viewpoint aluminum is aluminum and the frames are put together the same at the corners. Possibly the patio doors are different in the way they slide and that is where the air leak comes from.

Thanks for your feed back on this subject.