Eclipse vs Horizon vs Okna double hung windows

Share your experiences with others
jasonschap

Eclipse vs Horizon vs Okna double hung windows

#1 Post by jasonschap »

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have been getting estimates for replacing 14 windows in my house. I think I have it narrowed down to three different windows. The guy who quoted me the Eclpise seemed to sell me the best and made me feel comfortable with his company and the work they would do. The only problem is the only review I found online for Eclpise was negative. The Okna seems to have the best reviews online but the guy who did the estimate kind of didn't seem like he knew what he was talking about. The Horizon seem to be alright from reviews so i am not sure. I am more confused now that I got these estimates than i was when i started. Any info would be kindly appreciated. All three estiamtes came out to around $6000, give or take a couple bucks

jasonschap

Re: Eclipse vs Horizon vs Okna double hung windows

#2 Post by jasonschap »

well i tried. i guess i am going with the horizon because they were the cheapest. i am going to sell my house within the next three years anyway. 14 double hungs for $5700 is a decent deal me thinks

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

eclipse is made by United Windows. Eclipse is United's upper end window but against high end companies like Polaris, okna, gorell ,and sunrise its only average ..horizon is made by BF Rich and average. the clear winner would be Okna.

jasonschap

#4 Post by jasonschap »

cool thanks for info. i haven't given anybody a deposit yet so i am going to look into the place that gave me a quote on Okna. I could not find any info on the web by myself so thank you

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Don't let the installation ignorance be the determining factor. I have tried to train salespeople from time to time and salespeople are good at sales. Some are resistant to learn new things and it is entirely likely that he could be new. That does not mean that the company does not know what they are doing although it does indicate that they probably don't have a very good training protocol (I know that we are guilty of that).

Talk to someone in the "know" and take a look at other installations. That will give you a better idea of the company's finished product.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

jasonschap

#6 Post by jasonschap »

OK so I got a referral for a guy that has done a lot of work for people I know. He sells Viwinco windows and his estimate came in $1500 less than anyone else(also getting grids on top part where the rest quoted regular windows). i feel like I have to do business with him because he has gotten rave reviews from friends. He said his install fee is just a lot less than the big window companies and thats why he could save me money. I guess that sounds legit. Any experience with Viwinco Edgemont series?

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

If the installer is great, I am sure he would be willing to hang whatever product you want.

Perhaps he can quote you another window option. I am not familiar with that window but I seem to recall the reviews being mediocre.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#8 Post by masterext »

Viwinco is on the lower end. The eclipse better.

jasonschap

#9 Post by jasonschap »

I ordered the Viwinco. They were $2200 cheaper than the closest other one which was Horizon. I am not staying here long enough for it to really matter. With the extra I saved i am redoing my bathroon. I feel pretty good about it. thanks for info though people

masterext

#10 Post by masterext »

they were much cheaper for a reason; they are cheaply made. whenever a homeowner installs cheaply made replacement windows because "they dont intend to live in their home that long", they can actually be detracting from the value of their homes. had you installed a higher quality window they would have 1) looked better and 2) been something to use as a selling point.
instead of the realator saying " look at these nice new windows", he will now have to say 'look at these windows you will need to replace when you move in".
serioulsy, should of invested in quality. just my opinion.

Delaware Mike

#11 Post by Delaware Mike »

Real estate agents seem to love the word "Thermopane" when it comes to vinyl windows, especially the ones installed in the 80's and 90's. Now if the property had Andersen or Pella that would be a perceived selling advantage........ :lol:

jasonschap

#12 Post by jasonschap »

masterext wrote:they were much cheaper for a reason; they are cheaply made. whenever a homeowner installs cheaply made replacement windows because "they dont intend to live in their home that long", they can actually be detracting from the value of their homes. had you installed a higher quality window they would have 1) looked better and 2) been something to use as a selling point.
instead of the realator saying " look at these nice new windows", he will now have to say 'look at these windows you will need to replace when you move in".
serioulsy, should of invested in quality. just my opinion.
Listen I live in Reading, Pa. Not the city but also not in $250,000 house. When i sell my house I will probably sell for around $150,000. I have windows that are over 65+ years old in there now. I don't think the next homeowner will say that they need to redo the windows because i put cheap ones in. Whatever though, money is tight and I am happy with my desicion

Delaware Mike

#13 Post by Delaware Mike »

As long as you get a great install with proper exterior capping and neat caulking you should be fine. The Viwinco stuff I see at my favorite supply house appears to be much better than the American Craftsman/Silverline and Pella vinyl out of Lowes. I've never been impressed with the BF Rich products. They have a nice glazing package but the window seems very dated in appearance. Good Luck and enjoy your new windows.