Alabama homeowner asks: Why not Pella?

Share your experiences with others
DSHornet

Alabama homeowner asks: Why not Pella?

#1 Post by DSHornet »

The wife and I are in an upgrade program in our townhome in the Birmingham (AL) area.

First, we started with a super-efficient HVAC plant to replace the old original thirty-eight year old (yes, that's right, 38 years) gas heat-DX cooling system with a heat pump-gas heat dual fuel plant. Second on the list will be new double patio doors to replace the existing wood multi-pane units in place, which leak an incredible amount of heat during the winter. Third will be new windows to replace the present aluminum frame single pane units with aluminum frame storm windows.

We are considering Pella Designer series patio doors and windows. We've seen them on the web page and checked them out in the local Lowe's store. We will contract the installation, since I'm good at several things but carpentry isn't one of them. We won't buy the low line units since we don't want to have problems in ten to fifteen years or so. Although we don't want to throw money away, we aren't afraid of paying for quality.

Questions for all you who might know:

As a rank layman, I can't see a problem with poor quality in the Pella units. We have a Pella storm door on our main entrance and it's been good for about five years so far. What quality issues should we look for in patio doors and replacement windows?

In Alabama, we can have cold winter temperatures as low as 10 degrees, occasionally around 0 degrees, but rarely for more than two or three days at a time. Most winter nights are 23 degrees or above. Summer temperatures are often 96-100 degrees for days on end.

We wonder about using storm windows with double glazed units. The present windows are not at all energy efficient. Should we consider using storms on top of double glazing? Would it be cost effective to use triple glazing with no storm windows?

Enquiring minds want to know - before we drop $12K on windows and doors.

Don, y'all

DSHornet

Re: Alabama homeowner asks: Why not Pella?

#2 Post by DSHornet »

Wait a minute ... never mind. I posted my previous message before I got into the reviews section. NOW I know "Why not Pella." What a disappointment!

Back to the reviews go I. :shock:

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Designer series window is not terrible window, however, it is not in the same class as many of the other good wood windows (i.e. Marvin, Loewen, etc).

Sounds like you have read what you needed to read.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Pella Designers are pretty nice, and their patio doors are very nice imo. The one thing that Pella is notorious for is their sketchy customer service. It, along with their lower-end products are damaging their brand imho.

DSHornet

#5 Post by DSHornet »

HomeSealed wrote:Pella Designers are pretty nice, and their patio doors are very nice imo. The one thing that Pella is notorious for is their sketchy customer service. It, along with their lower-end products are damaging their brand imho.
Thanks - that puts them in a slightly different light (pun intended). I was impressed with the Designer series as shown on their web site. I wouldn't even look at the lower end lines. We'll retire in about five years, economy allowing, and we want something that will still be serviceable in twenty years so we won't be in the fix of looking for service when we are in our 70's.

Again, the service issue is very disappointing. We're planning on the doors next spring and windows probably next fall. I wasn't looking closely at local contractors, but I'll consider them now with future service in mind.