Lincoln Windows - Sash Kits

Share your experiences with others
cluenek

Lincoln Windows - Sash Kits

#1 Post by cluenek »

Hello All,

I am now looking at the Lincoln sash-kits. Has anyone had any experience with these windows? Good or bad. How would they compare to Pozzi, Norco or Marvin kits. They seem to be on par with the Norco's?

Thanks,

thebradleybunch

#2 Post by thebradleybunch »

Our neighbors had Lincoln sash replacements installed about 5 years ago, They are very happy with them. The Lincolns are architecturaly correct and attractive windows. They have never had any problems with them.

Our Family lives in a simmilar home built in the mid 1930's and we have been researching very extensivly on the best solution for sash replacement and cost factors. Quite basicly what is the best bang for the buck. The considerations are, cost, long term return on investment, the most important was "air infiltration" at the edge of the sash between the existing window frame.

Our home desperatly needs 21 windows replaced, so cost was also a major consideration. After looking at Marvin, Lincoln,et all.

We opted for Pella Precission fit and just orderd our 11 windows for our second story of our home. The first floor will have to wait till next year but with the recent change in energy costs projected for this winter the second floor was critical.

Now the reason we chose Pella. The basic cost per window as compared to Lincoln is aproximatly 24 dollars more per window. As compared to Marvin 200 dollars less per window.

But the absolute reson we chose Pella was the "side air infiltration" is completely eliminated with this particular product. That can not be claimed by Marvin nor Lincoln. In that school of thought the 264 dollars more for pella than lincoln will more than pay itself off in the long haul.
And 2,200 more for the Marvin name with no gurantee on side air infiltration just was out of the question.

We do not recomend ordering from a Pella store, we went through Lowes, I called the Pella factory and asked to speak with the production manager, he assured me we are getting the exact same window from Lowes as we would from a Pella Store.

Do yourself a favor, cost compare Lincoln vs. Pella and make a good sound decission.

read these two links below carefully,

pella.com/resources/pdf/AS_DS_PrecFit.PDF

lincolnwindows.com/DHsash2.htm

Which one makes more sense?

pella.com/products/windows_patiodoors/Detail.asp?path=/products/windows/doublehung/precisionfit/designer

Whatever you chose you will be happy, Like I said our neighbors have had Lincoln sash replacements for five years with no issues.

We just feel that pella is a better way to go, less work on install, and now worries of air infiltration or heat loss through the sides of the sash.

I have stood by our neighbors Lincoln windows in the middle of January on a strong cold windy day and did slightly feel the the air moving, and the air was cold not warm.

Hope this helps.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

You are comparing a Lincoln sash kit to a Pella insert replacement window. They are not in the same product category, thus not a fair comparison.

I see that Pella also uses this unfair comparison on their website to compare their replacement window to other company's sash kits. I find that misleading.
It would be the similar to Daimler-Chrysler comparing a Mercedes to a Chevrolet Cavalier in it's advertising, and not to other cars that are in it's class like the Chevrolet Corvette.

As far as the comparison to Marvin......the Marvin Ultimate insert replacement window is not the same thing as a Marvin sash kit.
The Ultimate would more directly compare to the Pella Precision-Fit window you are talking about. For example, here is the Ultimate insert......
homeowner.marvin.com/products/product.cfm?oid=E6BF2E1F-68E8-4E93-AED32549BFFA7593

Here is the Marvin sash kit....
homeowner.marvin.com/products/product.cfm?oid=CC8E1241-93CD-4216-8C38D6C46E298CE8

JScott

#4 Post by JScott »

Lincoln will hopefully have there insert replacement window in production by as early as the end of the year and possibly as late as next spring per the factory this past Wednesday. There Generation IV double hung is a standard DP40 and a DP50 kit is available for about 10 dollars. I am looking forward to its final arrival after over a year of testing.

I find it very very very very hard to believe the Lincoln sash replacement kit was only 20 dollars less. Did you compare a clad Lincoln with SDLs to a Pella without any grill option? Or what custom color?

cluenek

#5 Post by cluenek »

Thanks for the responses. I have to agree with the others. The pella windows were not the same as the sash kits. They are window inserts and I did consider these, but you do loose more glass area/space, than the sash kit.

So back the the sash kits. I really need advice on what to get, Marvin, Pozzi, Lincoln, Eagle or Norco ? Why is Marvin considered the tops? Cost is a factor, but so is quality. The options I'm interested in are available for all window brands.

Pozzi has easy release, as opposed to compression. Is there any concern for air infiltration there?

Thanks again, I trully do appreciate your reponses. I'm starting to drive myself crazy with this.

tpaese

Lincoln Windows

#6 Post by tpaese »

I strongly suggest that you do NOT buy Lincoln windows. I have recently replaced all of the Lincoln windows in my 14 year old home for the SECOND time (first time was warranty replacement by Lincoln). Aside from Lincoln's poor quality and design, they have a sub-standard warranty by industry comparison standards. I have dozens of neighbors with the same Lincoln windows and nearly all of them have had similar problems and would provide the same negative testimony. The product quality is horrible and the company does not stand behind the product whatsoever after warranty.

I researched Anderson, Marvin, Pella, Jeld-Wen, and a few others who manufacture wood interior windows. In the end, chose a company called Andco who I believe makes the finest window with the best warranty in the industry. The windows are outstanding and their service is equally impressive. They are a very small company based in Superior, WI. Worth checking them out if you are looking for wood windows. Their vinyl windows are supposed to be equally impressive. Their pricing was very competitive with the above companies. Didn't price out vinyl though.

tom :cry:

JamMSM

#7 Post by JamMSM »

Lincoln Windows are some of the better windows on the market. They have a full offering and their warranty is 10 year on product, and limited lifetime on glass. (Free for 10 years, 1/2 price after that).

I would put Lincoln on par with Marvin or Kolbe, but at a more attractive price. Pella is a tough call, because it is clearly superior to Pella Pro-line, but is more similar to the architecural series.

superdow

Re: Lincoln Windows - Sash Kits

#8 Post by superdow »

I had a what i consider to be pretty bad experience with Lincoln windows....the double pane seals on every southern exposure window (20 separate glass pieces) had failed within 9 -12 years after installation and the seals on 3 of 4 large Northern exposure casement windows also failed. This was common in my subdivision. My neigbor for example just had nearly every window in his house replaced with new Anderson windows so that tells you what he thinks of Lincoln windows. I'm not sure whether seal failure is typical of all double pane windows (the Lincoln warranty was 10 years but only applied to the original owner) or not so this criticism may not be particularly valid....I'm somewhat handy and was able to replace the glass myself.

In short, if I were ever to buy new windows I don't think I would buy double pane windows regardless of energy efficiency. The time and money replacing them after ten years isnt' worth the energy savings.

The houses in my subdivision were built in the early 1990's. Seals may have improved since then.

PS I only replaced the windows recently, as finances prevented their immediately replacement.

Adele

#9 Post by Adele »

I live in a house that was built in 1995 in Minnesota. The windows have been going bad one by one for the last 14 years. Lincoln windows are awful. In the winter they make loud popping noises and they loose their seal and fog up. Don't make a costly mistake like we did.

remodel618

#10 Post by remodel618 »

I'm in the same boat as many previous posters. Lincoln Windows (French doors) fogging after 11 years (just after warranty expired). Would love to hear from anyone who was actually able to get some service/remedy through Lincoln.
Thank you.

Dale

#11 Post by Dale »

I have had my Lincoln windows for a little over 5 years now. I have found them to be pretty much a small time operation with little if any interest in customer service. My first encounter was the result of a window leak that caused the sash to rot out. My local distributor took some pictures and sent them to Lincoln. Their response was that since one of the exterior pictures showed a sprinkler head located in the proximity of the window they would not honor any warranty. The sprinkler was set so that it did not spray on the window, but Lincoln did not even investigate that. They simply stated that their windows are not designed to withstand unusual amounts of water and any sprinkler near the window would void the warranty. So be sure that none of your sprinklers are within eyesight of your Lincoln windows.

I currently have developed a similar problem with another window. My local Lincoln Window distributor advised that he was no longer involved in any warranty claims, and gave me the email address of the person to contact at Lincoln Headquarters. I immediately fired off an email to that person. No reply. A month later I sent a second email. Still no reply. A few weeks later I called and finally got a call back. Lincoln sent a a couple of guys that were supposed to be their inspectors. They spent about 15 minutes looking around the edges of the window and declared they could see nothing wrong with the window. They advised they would submit a report to Lincoln and that Lincoln would get back in touch with me. That was about 4 months ago. I have heard nothing from Lincoln to date. Fortunately my builder has stepped in to repair the window.

I just this week noticed that the finish on some of my windows was fading badly. I contacted my local distributor. I just got an email back from him advising that Lincoln would probably not cover it do to high UV rays exposure, I live in the south, and sprinkler damage. This window is 6 feet off the ground and no sprinklers around, it is also shaded by a tree.

Yes, Lincoln makes great looking windows, and they hold up pretty good. I think they don't worry much about keeping customers happy, they can afford to lose a few along the way. How often do you buy new windows anyway. Its not like you are going to buy all new ones any time soon. So, they figure it is not worth it. If you read the warranty closely, about the only way your window is covered is if you keep it in a waterproof inviroment away from any harmful uv rays.