just starting in MI

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
lori

just starting in MI

#1 Post by lori »

I live in Michigan. My house which is 10 years old has vinyl clad wood windows by MLC. They are not the best quality but all the builders seem to use them. The weather stripping can be pulled right out and there is wood damage on the inside. Some are worse than others.

I started looking at Pella because we had them in our old house and liked them. We did not install them so the quote stunned me a bit. $19,600 installed by a crew which works for the company. $5500 for installation.

We have:
5 double casement 4'10-3/4" x 5'5-3/4"
3 single casement 1'11-3/4" x 3'5-3/4"
1 double casement 4'2-3/4" x 2'11-3/4"
2 fixed casement 1'9-3/4" x 5'5-3/4"
1 fixed half circle 58x29

We are looking at the triple pane with argon and lowE, Designer series with blinds. Their warrenty is 20 year glass/ 10 wood.

My biggest concern is the wood rotting or failing after paying so much money. I know some people on the board don't like the rolled aluminum. I'm not sure what this means exactly. Does water get between the aluminum and inside wood? If this happens, I'll be in the same boat in a few years.

I like the idea of the crew working for the company. However, I am not sure what the warranty is for installation.

My dad says that there are vinyl windows which look lsimilar to wood. Should I consider this as an alternative?

Any thoughts?

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

I'm a huge fan of Pella but that price seems a bit high. Are they doing a total replacement or just inserts? That price would reflect a total replacement verses inserts. Still there may be something I can't see about the job which adds extra difficulties. I'd shop around some more!

lori

#3 Post by lori »

The job quoted was for total replacement not inserts. I thought inserts were a bad idea. Not true?

lori

#4 Post by lori »

I just got back from Lowes. I was checking out the Pella 850 series. According to the sales guy, these are the same as the architect series from the Pella store but installed by Lowes installers. I haven't got the quote yet but he assured me it would be less than the Pella store. Lowes install warranty is 1 year.

Guy, any thoughts?

lori

#5 Post by lori »

This is for anyone out there shopping.

Pella Store:

My first quote was $19,600 for Pella Designer series with blinds (labor $5569) .
I was also quoted $15,487 for the Architect series no blinds (labor $5569).

Independent (ballpark figures only):
Quoted me $19,208 for the Designer series with blinds.
Quoted $16,049 for Architect series.

Lowes:
Architect series (850 series) $12,676 ( labor $4817).

So, the Pella store is charging $2811 more for the same windows (Architect series) installed vs. Lowes.

I really like those blinds in the windows but $19,600 for windows almost gave me a heart attack.

lori

#6 Post by lori »

F.Y.I.

The Pella store rep called me today. He knows we are price checking and wants to deal.

Maybe that is the way the business works but it sure turns me off. Can't anyone be a straight up person?