Champion Windows - Opinions please!!!

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
bonesdad

Champion Windows - Opinions please!!!

#1 Post by bonesdad »

I just got a quote from them for 2 double double hungs (not a typo).

He said he was giving me a "smokin deal" for these 2 windows as I had been to the showroom 4 times and there was never anyone there to help me. What do you think:

2 identical openings
rough openings: 71.5" x 54"
side by side double hung
tilt-in windows (upper and lower sash)
grids in top sash
argon filled
Comfort 365 glass (heat reflective surfaces - seemed to be very effective)

He quoted me $1265 for both sets of windows...installed, along with wrapping the wood trim.

The warranty seems pretty simple and straighforward.

What are your opinions of Champion, especially at this price for these windows. I know most of the professionals here think they are "meh", but is this a good price at least for these windows?

THanks!!!

ProfX

#2 Post by ProfX »

Champion has a pretty good window, I'm not to crazy about the spiral balance system theyre still using, but it's a good window. And at $300 a piece I'd pick them up,...they normally charge anywhere from $450-650 per window.

bonesdad

#3 Post by bonesdad »

ProfX wrote:Champion has a pretty good window, I'm not to crazy about the spiral balance system theyre still using, but it's a good window. And at $300 a piece I'd pick them up,...they normally charge anywhere from $450-650 per window.

What is the "spiral balance system" and what do you feel is wrong with it? Thanks for the reply...hope I get more!

ProfX

#4 Post by ProfX »

Dont be worried about a spiral balance, it has been used in almost all windows at some point or another. Your window sash has sash pins that connect the window to a boot which in turn is connected to the balance, in champions case it's a twisted spiral piece of steel that is greased and slides or spirals into and out of an aluminum cylinder when raised and lowered. I don't like the feel of a sash operating with a spiral balance, when compared to a constant force balance. But everyone has likes and dislikes. If anything went wrong with the balances, Champions warranty would have you covered.

Win-admin
Board Administrator

#5 Post by Win-admin »

Bonesdad,

You should do fine with Champion windows, however if your dealing with the branch in Chicago, you would be well served to look else where.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Win-Admin

bonesdad

#6 Post by bonesdad »

I just had a bid on Simonton and Alside windows as well. They came out to about $850 per window installed (again, 2 doublehung welded together). Sounds a bit high to me, but I have a higher level of trust with this place (that sells the Simonton and Alside) than I do with Champion. The bid is for the Simonton Platinum and for the Alside Sheffield. What do you think???

bonesdad

Champion WAY too expensive

#7 Post by bonesdad »

Got a quote from them for $1300, thinking it was for both openings...NO, one only!!! Went with Simonton windows, $1600 for both openings, equal or superior windows. Much happier....I don't recommend Champion to anyone. Insanely overpriced...they have to pay for their extensive advertising in their markets.

Go Alside or Simonton for better deals on great windows.