Water leaking into the window track

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
mikenwisco

Water leaking into the window track

#1 Post by mikenwisco »

I recently purchased and had installed 5 "Signature Series" 2 -lite swing in slider windows. Every time it rains, water accumulates in the bottom of the window tracks. This accurrs in both the actual slider window track and the stationary one. I called the dealer who I purchased them from (and they installed). He said he would get with the manufacturer and see what was up but he did not believe this water intrusion was correct. After a week I called again. He said that the manufacturer said that this is normal. I asked him if he thought it was normal for windows to allow water inside. His reply stunned me. He said that "according to the manufacturer, it is". I told him that this is not acceptable. Still waiting now on another call back. Has anyone ever heard of such an issue and am I off base here? Thanks

GulfBreezeWDS

Re: Water leaking into the window track

#2 Post by GulfBreezeWDS »

In my experience, all sliders will collect water in their tracks and should shed them via weep holes.

mikenwisco

#3 Post by mikenwisco »

Thank you for your response. I agree that it would not be unusual for some water to collect. However the water does seem to drain well. I checked to the drains and they are clear of debris. I do not feel like it is normal for water to be in the track on the inside of the house. The amount of water also seems excessive. I am not an expert but this does seem right to me. Also my old slider windows did not do this. Thanks again.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Most vinyl sliders will run water through the frame's weep system as you are describing. Obviously this is not ideal, and why pocket sill double hungs are highly discouraged, but it is pretty hard to avoid on sliders. If the weep holes are clear and unobstructed, it should be working as designed. The only other possibility is if it really seems excessive, is that there could be something blocking the channel inside the frame. Do all the windows drain the same way? If so, they probably are working as designed.

uto

#5 Post by uto »

There are a lot of window specs on the internet that address this. Here is just one that may help you change your mind.

http://www.wbdg.org/design/env_fenestration_win.php

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

uto,

I appreciate the link. What in that link makes you change your mind and about what?

I think the idea of pocket sills and weep system drainage is pretty universally discouraged. Most sliders on the mark do rely of some sort of weep hole drainage because they have to contend with the rail system that cannot drain via traditional slope sill methods.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

It is interesting that we all almost agree that drainage through the main frame is not the best.
But almost all sliders do it. They do not have to, the master frames just need a different design.
Perhaps some where other than the north with the dominace of double hungs that might get done.