help deciding on replacement windows in WA

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
linwa1

help deciding on replacement windows in WA

#1 Post by linwa1 »

I had bids for plygem, milgard, atrium, vpi, cdi, and simonton. I eliminated atrium and plygem for bad reviews and milgard because their warranty is reduced to 1 year if you live within 2 miles of seawater ( i do). I eliminated Simonton because the quote was twice as much as the next highest bid (8K vs 4K for 6 sliding windows). So it looks like I'm down to Vpi or cdi or I get more estimates. My lowest estimate for VPI synergy was $1,000 more then for comfort design Architectural series. Can anyone help me out. I can't find much out there on either product. Anyone know what a reasonable price is for a decent vinyl window. I currently have single pane aluminum frame windows in my 1966 house. I don't want them fogging up after a few years.

uto

Re: help deciding on replacement windows in WA

#2 Post by uto »

Where did you get the information about the Milgard warranty?

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

That caveat about the Milgard warranty is not completely out of the realm of reasonable given that salt spray can cause accelerated failure of materials.

Can you ask either of the remaining vendors for a CPD # (Certified Products Directory) or a structural test report? The information that is likely available online is very sanitized and does not usually paint the whole picture.

I can't seem to download a brochure from CDI, but the window appears (pictures are small) to be a pocket sill. If that is the case, that would be a strike against that product in my opinion.

linwa1

#4 Post by linwa1 »

uto wrote:Where did you get the information about the Milgard warranty?
The warranty is online. The sales rep said they didn't mean puget sound. He said that he has replaced defective windows that were within 2 miles without problem, but again, it's what is written that takes precedence over verbal declarations.

linwa1

#5 Post by linwa1 »

Windows on Washington wrote:That caveat about the Milgard warranty is not completely out of the realm of reasonable given that salt spray can cause accelerated failure of materials.

Can you ask either of the remaining vendors for a CPD # (Certified Products Directory) or a structural test report? The information that is likely available online is very sanitized and does not usually paint the whole picture.

I can't seem to download a brochure from CDI, but the window appears (pictures are small) to be a pocket sill. If that is the case, that would be a strike against that product in my opinion.
I don't know what a pocket sill is. I have the brochure, how can I tell? I could ask for a CPD or structural test report but I've seen some oneline and don't know how to read them or know what is considered good.

linwa1

#6 Post by linwa1 »

Windows on Washington wrote:
Brochure says: multi-chambered frames, fusion-welded corners, metal reinforced meeting rail and sash, cam locks & receivers attach into metal reinforcement. Sash and meeting rail designed to "interlock"

comfort Pac IG system w/ low-e glass, argon, warm edge spacer (Duralite), min of double strength glass. Offset drainage systems wit exterior weep-hole covers. Sliders have "equal sight lines" and stainless steel rollers. U-value .30, SHGC .33 and VT .56. AAMA and NFRC certified energy star rated.

The window I have an estimate on is the 9000 series Narrow.