new windows to replace leaky ones in SE Pa

Share your experiences with others
kim341

new windows to replace leaky ones in SE Pa

#1 Post by kim341 »

I would love to get some advice on a reputable dealer/installer for windows in the suburbs of Philadelphia. I currently have 21 year-old vinyl replacement windows that leak water. From what we've been able to ascertain, what needs to happen is we need to replace the windows with a new construction window as it looks like the capping on the windows are poor and the install on the vinyl siding (siding was put on in 2005) didn't do anything to properly address the bad capping and therefore leaks water into and down the sides of the windows. So now we have to rip out the siding to put in the a new window with a new nail flange (I hope what I'm describing is somewhere in the ballpark of being accurate - I apologize in advance if not) and recap and reseal to properly channel the water away and out of the house.

I've already had 6 people/companies out to look at the windows and give me pricing. Only 2 of the 6 have pointed out this issue in installing new windows. The other 4 have said we could just pop in replacement windows and be done with it. I'm leaning at the new construction aspect as these people seemed to know what they were talking about. I have a few more companies scheduled to look at the windows but would love a recommendation for someone in the SE Pa service area that is knowledgeable and a good installer. I want the job done right but I also don't want to be sold on work that may not be necessary.

TIA

Thermal Sash Windows

Re: new windows to replace leaky ones in SE Pa

#2 Post by Thermal Sash Windows »

You describe two different ways of installing replacement windows. Actually either

way will be fine IF THE INSTALLATION IS DONE CORRECTLY. I have seen new

construction type installations leak just as bad as replacements. I have had

experience with both types of installations since 1986, and I can tell you that

95% of installed replacement windows do not use the new construction version of

the window (intergral nailing fin). It sounds like the issue you describe was

caused by improper installation, mainly because you cite the problem being caused

by the capping. On most installations, the capping around a window should not have

anything to do with whether it leaks or not. Capping is simply a cosmetic

treatment of the exterior wood that is designed to eliminate painting. However,

some installers have perfected a technique where the capping is formed in such a

way as to form a "blind stop" which is used as a barrier to the elements and

water. Some homes where aluminum windows are being replaced use this technique. I

suggest you quiz the installers on what system they plan on using for your

particular construction. When it gets down to the bottom line, even the best

window on the market will under perform if not installed correctly.

Randy

#3 Post by Randy »

Anthony, one of the regular pros here, is your absolute best resource in the Philadelphia area. I couldn't recommend him more highly to you as a true professional with a level of expertise that will stand out from the competition with great products and superior installation techniques.

If you'll find one of his posts, there will be a "get a quote" button under his name that will get you in touch with him.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+2

Anthony and his guys are top notch.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

+3. Anthony is the man to talk to over there. Best products and installation practices.

newhomeowner1234

#6 Post by newhomeowner1234 »

who is anthony!?

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_REkgXByDyuU/S ... 600/10.jpg

Delaware Mike and anthony both probably serve your area. You can find anthony here in the thread above.