Pella 350

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
resident1

Pella 350

#1 Post by resident1 »

Besides a pocket sill (assume that is still the design of a the Pella 350), anything else to strongly consider with a Pella 350 slider window?

thanks much!

Windows on Washington

Re: Pella 350

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Same feedback as on the other board to be honest.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

Windows on Washington wrote:Same feedback as on the other board to be honest.
The only thing i can add is that the pella 350 is not regarded as a top tier vinyl offering. To me, its something an uninformed contractor uses just because it has the pella name. Then again, pella doesnt have a great name.

Guy

#4 Post by Guy »

I'm sure I've installed more Pella products than anyone else here. Maybe more than everyone put together. Pella came out with the 350 series to accommodate the builder and Lowes. Lowes buys more Pella than most anyone. Pella's old vinyl unit was horrible. We wood have to go back multiple times to move the units back in place. They moved all over the place. Lowes was loosing so much money from poor installers that the were giving them away free. The 350 series isn't to bad. They offer multiple color variations and a much nicer product. More detailed finish of the vinyl with better weatherstripping adhesion. Much stronger frame than before with new triple panes glass. A couple more bells and whistles.
I have to give Pella some props for their newer products. When they put the Designer Series products together they called on a coupe of us local installers to help them through any flaws. I was fortunate to be apart of that. They made the product more installer friendly and listened to us when we said don't do that! It turned out to be a great product for them. They of course charged an arm and a leg but it had a better customer rating and half the callbacks.

The 350 series was done the same way I guess. They listened to the unhappy customers and the people who sell the product on this venture. They tried to give the consumer more options with less headaches. It also became more installer ready. Not so many things to do to make it work right. No dumb foam plugs and better hardware. I'd recommend the product to anyone.....as long as you had a great installer!! No DIY!!!

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

Thanks for the review on the 350. We are starting a pre-finished Pella ProLine job next week in which myself and the homeowner worked closely with the local Pella corporate store and outside sales rep. The homeowner currently has hail damaged out of production Malta PVC clad casements with stained interior (pine). Pella wound up running a special for free interior finishing on the new units and matching trim and my homeowner jumped on it. We are real excited about working with these units as they're really nice looking and Pella has be fantastic to deal with.

Guy

#6 Post by Guy »

Mike that's nice to hear. Unfortunately the upper Midwest location here in MN is loaded with self centered arrogant staff. I put together Pella's entire installation program for free. Thought I was going to make out well after a huge presentation of new installation guidelines for every product. They took all my info and never called me back! They still try to get me to go to their out state jobsites and fix their products. I never call them back!! I go down to the Pella Iowa plant twice per year to bring havoc and an occasional golf outing.

When installing the 350 make sure you shim in at least four places on each side of the bigger units. Lock those screws down snug and cut the shims off both sides. Don't remove the shims for foam. This is a huge mistake that most installers make up here. Also make sure you don't over tighten your fasteners. Just like any vinyl you must be careful. It will pull the frame out of whack and create an air leak potential.

If you didn't order the InView Screens you're missing out. Great screen! I took a roll of screen from the rep and redid mine at home!! Patio door is just like the Designer Series. Multi point locking and their patented Roll-Screen! That's the same Roll-Screen that started the Pella name! They've come a long way. Casements and awnings have their SureLock System that has one lock handle that operates the two locks. Don't need to work two seperate locks.
If you have any issues Mike feel free to call me. I'll help you in any way possible. Call me anytime you want 612-916-2257

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Guy,
I have been installing Pella windows for 30years and was one of the first CPCs in philly.
Two problems I have with Pella:
The product rots so much it is embarrassing. They say they have taken care of it, if so raise the frame warranty on clad wood products to 20 years.
Pella retail steals everyones customers. Just like the stole your install info. They have no honor.

theWindowNerd
Last edited by TheWindowNerd on Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guy

#8 Post by Guy »

WindowNerd it's nice to know I'm not the only one getting rolled by those we should never have to worry about. Fortunately they roll so many sales reps through their factories that we always have a new face. The National Rep that I had here for years who took care of our local Lowes Stores was one hell of a good guy. Even he couldn't take it anymore. Now he's an investment broker. I've learned to treat them all like clowns today. If they try and steal a job I will literally walk in to their office and belittle them in front of the entire facility! This old Gunny Saergent can still hold his ground and scare the hell out of most people. I made one guy cry a couple years ago. But I made my point. I don't have time for that stuff any more. I'm to old and worn out. They've even gone so far as taking Lowes customers by under bidding them. This is all done after Lowes sends them a quote request for product. They take the information of the big customers and call them with a better price than the one they give the store. That's some shallow stuff.

Pella does offer a 20 year warranty on their Endura Clad Wood Windows. This includes the Architect, Designer Series for sure. I know their new cladding is working well. They made the same error as Marvin did back in the late 90's to the mid 2000's. They paid huge money for a wood preservative that literally decayed the wood in 8-10 years. During this time their engineers made a huge mistake by trying to make that cladding removable for easy replacement. They were getting some complaints from customers bitching about hail damaged cladding. They were mad because they had to replace the entire unit. So Pella thought removable cladding would make consumers happy. Dumbest idea they ever had! Class action suit was huge. They took it in the shorts with an undisclosed amount. I could tell you so many stories but it's not worth it. The forums have been kicking them hard for years. But I think they are really making good progress in their changes.
No matter what happens with any person or company, we need to reevaluate our thoughts and give them another chance in life!
The most frustrating thing for me as a very passionate installer and Buisnessman is falsely accusing someone for something they didn't do. Pella really screwed the pooch on some products. But I can tell you first hand that a lot of the accusations of bad product were really poor installers. Bad installers will never admit they errored in their profession. They always blame the product. I've been defending multiple door and window manufacturers in lawsuits since the year 2003. I've never lost a case I inspected since day one. That's 134 cases where I made people look like idiots. I love every minute of it....knock on wood!!! There are so many contractors in our trade who are huge crooks. I'm just embarrassed for them!
Sorry for ranting on. I just get so damn frustrated with people. That's why I don't hang on these boards like I used to. I just lose my mind reading some of the posts and opinions at times. But I do stop by more than I have been. I've always enjoyed talking with my fellow installers. I can say I've met some awesome people here. Keep up the good work!!

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

Welcome to corporate America, the never never fully satisfied hungry beast of dog eat dog with zero ethics (unless it's media damage control) and accountability.

My wiser than me father always tells me when I'm working for like the 3rd week of 12-hours days and become sort of a cross between Shrek the swamp ogre and Grumpy Cat that "hate consumes the hater."

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

Why recommend a window with an outdated pocket design, a window that has newer beefier frame that requires at least 4 shims per side on some sizes.
I would not expect a great install from Pella with what they pay there contractors, which is sad since they way overcharge for there installed products.
Confused why one would recommend a company that steals your work, both technical and physical, over charges for inferior product and underpays installers?
Must have a hell of a golf outing!

Delaware Mike

#11 Post by Delaware Mike »

But isn't Pella "Viewed to be the Best?" lol...................