Replacement Casements - Sunrise/Vanguard vs. Marvin Elevate

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
wassup61

Replacement Casements - Sunrise/Vanguard vs. Marvin Elevate

#1 Post by wassup61 »

Hello all,

Looking for advice here on pricing. Replacing the following windows (1970s single pane, aluminum clad wood Pellas):

Location - Northwest Indiana Near Chicago

RO SIZING BELOW

1 - 51x37 2 lite casement
2 - 51x41 2 lite casement
1 - 51x41 2 lite casement
2 - 51x53 2 lite casement
1 - 129x53 5 lite (2 operable) BOW

QUOTES

Marvin Elevates (all casements), Marvin Ultimate (Bow): All "Tripane Low E2/E1 w/Argon" - $18,400 WINDOWS ONLY
MI "Vanguard" (Sunrise?) dual pane S2100a glazing - $28,500 INSTALLED (after discount)

QUESTIONS

1. Is one window option superior to the other (Vinyl vs Fiberglass)? I cant find AI numbers for the Marvins anywhere.

2. The MI dealer would not provide a price breakdown of materials vs labor, nor would they quote tripane to get to the U/SHGC of the Marvins. Is the pricing "reasonable"?

3. Is the S2210a glass option from MI a 4th layer E coating (interior)? Its a dual pane option that approaches the performance of tripane. I know I dont want interior E coating because of condensation issues in the winter around here.

4. What is a "reasonable price" per window for a full teardown to RO and install of new windows on a first floor, full access?

5. Are there any recommended vendors (have only contacted Preferred Window and Door in Lynwood IL) for a high end vinyl replacement?

Thank you

HomeSealed

Re: Replacement Casements - Sunrise/Vanguard vs. Marvin Elevate

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

1) Each material has some areas that it it is superior to others, however is one flat out superior meaning that windows made of said material are automatically better? No.
In this comparison, the Elevate has a rich wood interior which sets it apart, where the Sunrise will have an advantage in performance, warranty, and maintenance.I should add that the performance delta is reduced for casements in comparison to double hung.

2) Some added detail would be needed for a stronger pricing commentary, but generally speaking that looks like it's within a "reasonable range" for essentially 12 windows and a 5 panel bow. That bow will carry a hefty price tag.

3) Wise choice to avoid the surface 4, interior low e

4) Very difficult to answer, best practice is to get quotes

5) Nobody off the top of my head, but checking with the top product manufacturers for a referral would be a good start. Check with Okna to see if they have a dealer and also Softlite to see if they have any Elements dealer. There are other good windows of course, but I'd try those two first.

As a general observation, I'd recommend against sourcing product and labor/installation separately. You essentially anoint yourself to be the General Contractor in that scenario, and the thing about GC's is that they are ultimately the party responsible when things go wrong. Tough spot for a homeowner.

wassup61

#3 Post by wassup61 »

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately no Okna or Softlite dealers near me. The GC for the Marvins sent me to the supply house he uses to get final specs on the windows (glazing options), but he did all the measurements etc. so I am less worried about the liability.

You are absolutely right on the Bow window - With the Marvin Ultimate it was nearly $6,000.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

wassup61 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:44 pm Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately no Okna or Softlite dealers near me. The GC for the Marvins sent me to the supply house he uses to get final specs on the windows (glazing options), but he did all the measurements etc. so I am less worried about the liability.

You are absolutely right on the Bow window - With the Marvin Ultimate it was nearly $6,000.
The issue is less about measurements, and more about when you have a problem or some type of defect requiring service. The the supplier says its an install issue, the installer says its a product issue. You are left in the middle... If you have a GC that is having you deal directly with his supplier for ANY reason, that is another red flag. Expect the same down the road as I've explained.

wassup61

#5 Post by wassup61 »

Thanks HomeSealed.

The contractor that sent me to the supply house for the Elevates quoted $55,000 which seems like an "I don't want the job" quote.

Leaning toward the Vanguard at this point.

Just need some validation that $28,500 (dual pane) or $32,000 (triple pane) isn't insane pricing. Everything I can find is dated from 2019 and prior and is about half the price.

wassup61

#6 Post by wassup61 »

Thanks HomeSealed.

The contractor that sent me to the supply house for the Elevates quoted $55,000 which seems like an "I don't want the job" quote.

Just need some validation that $28,500 (dual pane) or $32,000 (triple pane) isn't insane pricing. Everything I can find is dated from 2019 and prior and is about half the price.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

wassup61 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:28 pm Thanks HomeSealed.

As I alluded to above, it's hard to say without knowing every detail of the product and install, but that pricing is not outside of the normal range these days. The Elevate quote lends added credibility to that.