Exterior Trim Install Question

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Toby

Exterior Trim Install Question

#1 Post by Toby »

Hi! I recently had full window replacements around my house. I was just checking the outside trim and came across a couple things that I thought didn’t look right.

On top of my windows I have a dam at the end of my J channels. I am afraid the water will just sit there on the nail and go down into my window. That being said, I am clueless on this. Is this concern legitimate or is there a function that will drain the water out properly?

The second picture is exposed wood that, to me (clueless again), should probably not be visible. I want to bring these concerns up to the installer but want to make sure I’m at least potentially on to something.

I don’t want to replace windows again for a very long time :) thanks!!
Attachments
IMG_4595.png
IMG_4596.png

HomeSealed

Re: Exterior Trim Install Question

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Is the nail on the top side? If so, yes that needs to be addressed. Not ideal on any side, but very problematic on the top. A dab of sealant on the nail would be the minimum fix there.

As for the wood showing at the miter, no, that shouldn't be exposed. Again, minimum fix would be to add sealant there as well.

Ideal fix would be to have that trim redone as based on the pics, its not the best.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

I’m not quite sure what’s going on there but it doesn’t look good.
It appears they removed the original J. What is that black gap?
The aluminum work is shoddy at best. Some pics a little further back might help.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

Looks to me like the installers didn't really understand building science regarding "tabbing" of the capping leg or head cap which covers a cut termination piece of metal? Looks like white G8 like metal with a brickmold face trim formed profile, but the miters don't match that to add insult they face nailed it to hold together. Precision workmanship is getting hard to find these days.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Face nailing is not ideal, but unavoidable sometime. That said, we don't pinch the capping when we do.

HomeSealed is correct about the nail in the J-channel as is Todd and Mike. Not great attention to detail, but can't condemn it either.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

I’m gonna go out on a limb and condemn it.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

I was speaking about the install in total and we are looking at a picture of one leg of trim on one window.

Was it cut short...yeah. Is it incorrect, yep. Does it mean the entirety of the install is shite...no.