Garden Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
stlwindow

Garden Windows

#1 Post by stlwindow »

Good afternoon, I live in St. Louis and am looking to replace a window with a garden window. I've had a couple of companies come out and quoted me varied prices for what it seems to be the same window. Window World's pictures of the garden window is exactly what the ProVia Aspect Garden Window, additionally the color options are exactly the same as ProVia's Aspect Garden Window. I assume there's only a few companies that manufacture these garden windows. Can anyone give me a idea on a best, mid, good, poor garden window option.

Delaware Mike

Re: Garden Windows

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Most are made by a bay, bow, or specialty shape outsourced manufacturer like Ventana. The hardware and spacer might change a little to align with a particular manufacturer's specifications. I've mostly done Sunrise, OKNA, Soft-Lite, and ProVia and they are all very similar. The key is to not go too large or put into a super harsh environment such as extreme heat or cold. Keep that top angled glass clean is a challenge and there is a lot of water that may irrigate through the frame and weep outwards. Proper fastening to the rough open with multiple anchor points and knee bracing most times to prevent sagging is paramount.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not my favorite operator type window. As a percentage of units installed, creates WAY more operational and service issues than any other operator.

stlwindow

#4 Post by stlwindow »

So in this case, would it be safe to say that most Garden windows are just remarketed, and have been made by only 2-4 manufacturers?

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

stlwindow wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:58 am So in this case, would it be safe to say that most Garden windows are just remarketed, and have been made by only 2-4 manufacturers?
Kind of... As alluded to above, most manufacturer don't engineer their own garden window since it's such a low volume product, so there are a few basic "chassis" that are used by many. That said, there are brand specific parts used for each in most cases like the glass, hardware, and other items.

The other important factor to consider is that these are relatively service-prone, and costly upfront as well. You have to REALLY love the concept for it to be a good choice imo.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Like..."REALLY LOVE"...the concept. That is well put.

uncle eddie

#7 Post by uncle eddie »

Another vote to run from garden windows.

WindowsDirectCinci

#8 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Just to hit on what the others have stated. Although the Provia and window would garden windows could essentially be the same “chassis” 80% of the window is glass and Provia’s glass system would be far superior than window worlds. With 4 glass panels in a garden window including one on top that gets a lot of weather I’d be willing to pay a decent premium on the Provia garden window especially considering the service rate of garden windows, the high initial cost and the possibility of sweating