Can you shorten Provia Endure Double Hung Sash Stop

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Macy5

Can you shorten Provia Endure Double Hung Sash Stop

#1 Post by Macy5 »

We have the Provia Endure Double hung white vinyl windows. The two windows in our master bedroom only open 11 inches. I understand the sash stops are a completely necessary functional part of the window, but these provia ones are like 4 inches tall at the top. Is there any way to remove the two sash stops and cut them down so that we can gain at least one or two more inches of our window being able to open up and down? Our window AC unit no longer fits. If it is possible, how do you remove them without damage to cut them shorter. They look like they just pop into the track, but I don't want to crack them either. I would really appreciate any feedback, links, pics or other info on if and how this can be done. Thank you

Delaware Mike

Re: Can you shorten Provia Endure Double Hung Sash Stop

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Yes, you can just pop them out with any kind of thin narrow ridgid prying device like a straight screwdriver. You will get them out easier if you remove the thin jamb pocket balance covers first which snap right back in. You can cut the sash stops with strong snips or hacksaw then file to level as needed. Your balance covers will be short then too so you may need to order from your dealers some longer material and trim them to fit. The sash stops are there to clearly limit the sash travel so one doesn't damage the locks or the vinyl sash lift rails.

The updated Endure DH units don't feature top sash stops anymore and they place a black set screw in the jamb pocket in which the balance shoe hits to achieve the same result. That decision was cosmetic to make the window better looking.

Macy5

#3 Post by Macy5 »

Thank you so much for the reply, wish I had the new version, my old windows opened almost all the way up, loved that option, never occurred to me that ordering new Windows might mean I lose that option.
What is the jamb pocket balance cover I should remove first?

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

When you look above the bottom sash to the side jambs, the jamb pocket closest to you/inside will have a snap in vinyl piece that runs to the top head area. It covers the open jamb and balance. It's a cosmetic piece and easily removed and snapped back in place. Where your old windows the original windows (wood)? Or, a vinyl replacement window?