Okna 1800 worth double Provia Endure with Triple-pane?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
arcane

Okna 1800 worth double Provia Endure with Triple-pane?

#1 Post by arcane »

So I have read several posts here addressing Okna vs Provia, and I understand the general recommendation is Okna > Provia, but I have not seen this specific comparison...

For 25 windows installed by two different A+ BBB rated, 4.9 Star Yelp reviewed contractors, I received one quote for the same set of windows using Okna 1800 (800 with Triple-pane) that is double that of the quote using Provia Endure with Triple-pane, UV, double strength glass.

Is that reasonable and expected? I did not expect the quotes to match, but I did not expect the Okna quote ($46K) to be double the Provia quote ($23K)! I have received two additional quotes on the same Provia window configuration within $2K of this Provia quote, so it is not an outlier...
The ratings on the Okna spec sheet in the quote are actually slightly worse than on the Provia spec sheet: U-factor .20 vs .19 and SHG .23 vs .18.

I have spoken to several references of the Provia installer (in business for 33 years), and they are all extremely pleased with the product and installer... Count me as another consumer struggling to understand how that significant of a price difference is justified. Any insight and assistance is appreciated!

HomeSealed

Re: Okna 1800 worth double Provia Endure with Triple-pane?

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Where are you located? Based on the regions that these two products are available, I suspect that it may be a cooler climate in which case the numerically higher SHGC is better under normal circumstances.

- What is the CR (condensation resistance) rating on both options?
- Do you know the air leakage and design pressure ratings of each?
- Are all products options the same?

As far as the dealers are concerned:
- are all of the installation details the same?
- are they both companies with a brick and mortar location that you can visit if something goes awry?
- Is the review quantity similar even though the ratings are? 4.9 on a few hundred reviews is much more impressive that 4.9 on 25 reviews.
- How does the BBB look in terms of complaints and reviews?

At the end of the day, the question of whether the Okna is worth twice as much is not really going to tell you what you need to know. There are many factors in comparing the product, the installation dealer, and surrounding circumstances that need to be weighed as well.

For instance, if all else is equal on pocket windows, if the Provia option is $1200 per window and Okna is $2400, the okna is probably the outlier. Conversely if the Provia is $600 and the Okna is $1200, the Provia guy is losing money and may not be around to install those windows despite "33 years in business".

With all of that said, my answer would be: we need more info.
Have you gotten any other quotes? Ideally, I'd toss the Provia quote in the trash and get quotes on better windows like Softlite or Sunrise for comparison.

Ricknez

#3 Post by Ricknez »

A few questions:
1) are the windows all white?
2) are there grids?
3) what state are you in since pricing can sometimes be regional.

arcane

#4 Post by arcane »

Thank you for your responses. Requested information included as possible...

I am in Virginia.

Personal preference is I want minimal SHGC. Solar heat gain is a major issue for me in my house 70% of the year.
CR for Provia = 72, Okna = 75
Air Leakage for Provia (provided for Double-pane at 0.05, do not have those specs for the upgrade to Triple-pane), Okna = 0.01
Regarding Options - all options that can be the same, are the same (e.g., Provia includes dual-action lock (which my wife prefers), Okna does not have that option. A few of the screens on the Provia are upgraded to stainless steel, Okna does not offer that option.).

Both dealers have brick and mortar location.

Both indicate using low expansion foam during install. Provia dealer also includes low mar aluminum trim, Okna dealer does not address any trim. We are in favor of the trim, as the original windows we are replacing look a little "un-finished" without any trim.

Provia dealer registered with BBB since 1994, Okna dealer since 2006 - both have Zero complaints.
Similarly glowing reviews on multiple sites for both.

As for quotes, I've received multiple for the exact Provia configuration I want that are all within $2K of each other. I have over a dozen quotes from various companies, for various window manufacturers - from national, to regional to local. I cannot find a local dealer for Soft-lite, and two of the Provia dealers (including the lead contender for Provia) both dropped Soft-lite due to quality issues they experienced.
As for Sunrise, with their being acquired by MI Windows and based on all of the warnings here and on other sites related to "new" or "at risk" companies, or "quality companies acquired by inferior companies", they are not on my list.

Yes, all white interior and exterior.
Yes, grids.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Is one of those quotes me?

If so, can you email me at: enovotny@windowsonwashington.net

Quote seems a bit out of our normal range to be honest. Has to be more to this as we don't normally see a good triple pane window at 1K and ours doesn't usually cost 2K either. I am confused if this is us.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Sunrise should be on your list, it's a much better window. There have been concerns about how all of that corporate change over would impact things, but to date the answer seems to be nada. I think its far more likely for Provia to axe or make wholesale changes to their window line (like they have with other products like storm windows, some siding offering, etc) than it is for Sunrise to see any of that at this point.

It's great that you have a few provia quotes that are similar to each other, but that doesn't mean that it's not an outlier if you want quality windows. A Chevy Cruze is close to the same price at various Chevy dealers, but it's still an outlier if you are comparing luxury sedans like BMW, Mercedes, or what have you.

The fact is, not only is the Provia a middling window at best, but I have yet to meet a specialized window installation company worth their salt that carries that line as their primary offering, as opposed to maybe cherry picking a few options. They are a well respected door manufacturer that just started trying their hand at windows, we'll see how it goes. Personally, I wouldn't want to be a guinea pig (at best) on a 5 figure purchase.

Softlite Elements and Elite are much better.
Sunrise Restorations and Vanguard are much better.
Polaris Ultraweld is better.
A couple lines from Vytex are better.
The blem windows that Okna puts out in the alley for scrappers to take are better... Jk, but you get the point.

If by chance your Okna quote is from WOW you are dealing with one of the best. I also know that their pricing doesn't approach $2k per unit so there must be some significant upgrades or added work. If your quote is NOT from them, you need to call them.