New Construction Received Replacement Windows from Simonton?

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
ArcadiaFL

New Construction Received Replacement Windows from Simonton?

#1 Post by ArcadiaFL »

I'm an owner builder and we are at the point of installing our windows (13 of them) and we ordered the through HD, they took a long while to deliver and delivered 6 of them broken so waiting on the new order to be delivered to install all of them.

Yesterday I was looking at the windows that we already received as good ones and notice this instructions stickers on the window that says "Replacement Windows" they came wirh 4 plastic strips that I think needs to be added around the window to make it "New Construction"? I'm super confused. Called Simonton customer number and it says that my call can't be completed as dialed (1-800-746-xxxx in case I entered it wrong, sorry if this phone number is kot allowed, just putting it here to make sure I have the right one)

Anybody knows anything about this?

Thank you!

Windows on Washington

Re: New Construction Received Replacement Windows from Simonton?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Probably just clip in accessory for the mull groove to put in a nailing flange. Not uncommon. Pics?

ArcadiaFL

#3 Post by ArcadiaFL »

We need that confirmation, we have been having so many issues with everything so far that if this is a non-issue it would be GREAT. Attached are the pictures of the windows and the strip that comes with.

It must be common but they're zero instructions on how to install those so I just hit it with a rubber mallet and they went in but that all I did.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this, we really appreciate it!.
tempImagemG9dbT.gif
tempImageV1ETEy.gif
tempImagenQHHSx.gif
tempImageuPWtoR.gif
tempImagep5wzN4.gif
tempImage2r18Gr.gif
tempImage7FHv4N.gif
tempImagekvKjcS.gif

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

Those are pocket replacement windows and those vinyl pieces are sill angles for the bottom of a window which would be totally flat jamb wise. A typical wood window with pitched sill intact would have a pitch to it and there would be a gap between the outer bottom of the vinyl insert replacement window and that of the wood sill. One would trim that to the height needed to eliminate the gap. That wouldn't be utilized as a nailing flange.

At this point I'd probably hit up a local and purchase some white Azek 2" brickmold with the nailing flange and try to correctly apply this around the window. I'd place the window slightly off the face off of the sheathing and butt this that stuff to it. I'd fabricate up a drip cap first above the window. My best guess would be to let the window stick 5/8" to 3/4" off the exterior sheathing. New construction windows with vinyl should have a very stout extruded or applied nail fin system.

ArcadiaFL

#5 Post by ArcadiaFL »

That is exactly my point, we ordered new construction windows, not replacement windows. I can deal with an issue we had but this is a problem with what was sent.

I don't want to go to the trouble of doing something I don't have to if I need to complain to Simonton because they sent the wrong windows.

I was expecting that fin around the window but being part of the structure not something you just "attach" to it.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

A copy of your order would probably answer a bunch of these questions. Some series of windows are not available with an integrated flange and hence the reason that you need to have the clip in accessory.

I would also mitre the corners.

ArcadiaFL

#7 Post by ArcadiaFL »

We checked the order last night, painstakingly slowly looking for ANYTHING that mention new construction or replacement windows and there was no mention of either one, sadly. We would go to Home Depot today to talk about this.

If I have no other option I'll use this windows but I would have preferred to have the correct windows to begin with.

This are Simonton Premium Series Vinyl windows. Not sure that means anything because I would love to have a model number or something, this way there is nothing concrete.

ArcadiaFL

#8 Post by ArcadiaFL »

Would it be useful if I post part of the order we had to find out once and for all if this are supposed to come with a fin or not? Trying to find out definitely if I need to go to HD and ask them for help on this situation or just bite the bullet and install this windows we have.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Installing the accessory fin and mitre'ing the corners makes this window a suitable new construction application and we do this all the time when folks want a premium replacement window that is not offered as an integrated new construction window. I will be doing the very thing on my home with some Okna windows. Again...not "wrong" in any capacity, just requires an additional step and some attention to detail. First one will take you a few minutes but ones you are set up and if the windows are the same size, shouldn't take you more than about 5-6 minutes per window to do it property.

ArcadiaFL

#10 Post by ArcadiaFL »

OK we really appreciate your comment on that. We will keep going with this windows then. I'll try to post a photo of what we end up with after installation, wish us luck!

Delaware Mike

#11 Post by Delaware Mike »

If you're running j-channel and vinyl siding utilizing sill angles as nailing flanges is going to look total hack job short bus. The exterior plane of the window will be on the same plane as the sheathing and not sticking proud like a new construction window. You will not have the outer portion of the nailing flange sides or the window to butt the j-channel to. I'd see if you can obtain field applied nailing flanges which is what many manufacturers and installers utilize.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Delaware Mike wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:11 pm If you're running j-channel and vinyl siding utilizing sill angles as nailing flanges is going to look total hack job short bus. The exterior plane of the window will be on the same plane as the sheathing and not sticking proud like a new construction window. You will not have the outer portion of the nailing flange sides or the window to butt the j-channel to. I'd see if you can obtain field applied nailing flanges which is what many manufacturers and installers utilize.
Agreed. If that is just sill angle...then it is not correct in the least. I was figuring that they sent you the nailing flange accessory.

uncle eddie

#13 Post by uncle eddie »

I see that you posted this in the DIY section, your line of questioning is scary if you are the guy that is installing these. If you aren't, these are easy questions for your installer to answer.
At the end of the day, the pros above are right about snapping in nail fins to solve this, assuming that they are sized correctly

You probably ordered them wrong, but some blame in part or in full on big orange depot (another red flag).

I really hope there is a professional that will be involved here somewhere.