UniShield and Sunrise Comparison

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
GreyCoast

UniShield and Sunrise Comparison

#1 Post by GreyCoast »

Hello All!

Been digging through the forums and trying to get an idea of what to look for when it comes to replacing our original (1986) single pane sliders and storms. We won't be staying in the house forever and for that reason we aren't looking to go crazy and are fine with a modest upgrade from what we have now.

We're looking to replace 7 sliders (3 up, 4 main level) and they would all be inserts as we want to save some money, it's not our forever home, and the interior trim(?) is all in good condition. We're located in Minnesota so it does get cold but I don't think I can be convinced to go triple pane in this scenario (and we haven't been quoted for any).

Got three quotes from smaller places that were recommended to us and than did the classic Renewal Quote just to see how crazy it would be and what promos were running with Black Friday. Safe to say we aren't going with Renewal at roughly $25k for 7 windows.

------------------------------------------------------
Company A - $7000

UniShield Window
7/8" Double Pane
Low E Stacked with Argon
Super Spacer and Foam Filled

U Factor: 0.27
SHGC: 0.29
VT: .53
Air Leakage: < 0.3
-------------------------------------------------------
Company B - Quote 1 - $9500

Sunrise Essential Window
3/4" Double-Insulated
Sure Edge Spacer
Low-E glass and Argon Gas
Company B - Quote 2 - $14,500

Sunrise V4000 Window
7/8" Double-Insulated
Max-Edge Spacer System
Omega-12 Low-E and Argon Gas
Company C - ??? TBD

Haven't received a quote yet but was told they would install GenTek or ThermoTech Windows? Which I haven't read amazing things about.

I've read some good things about the UniShield line (upgraded Polaris) and also have read good things about the Sunrise Windows but I'm getting confused on the models being quoted and hence can't pull numbers to compare.

I did reach out to Okna to find a dealer but unfortunately there is no MN Dealer.

Unless the Sunrise Essential is comparable to the UniShield, I'm leaning towards the first quote.

Any and all insight is welcome!

toddinmn

Re: UniShield and Sunrise Comparison

#2 Post by toddinmn »

I’d take the Unishield.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

I'd keep looking for the short term, but if you don't find anything better...kind of leaning towards Todd's feedback. Hard to justify a 2X price jump and the intro level sunrise isn't good.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

Personally I’d say you got great pricing on a very good window. I see no reason to go further.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

The Polaris window is good and from that perspective I'd agree with the other pros. That said, I'd give strong consideration to the company offering it as well. A great window with a questionable installation and poor service after the sale is no better than buying a bad window. I'm not saying that will be the case here, but the national company that normally carries that Unishield private label can be hit or miss depending on the market.

The long and short of it is that I'd make sure to fully vet that option and/or take a look at others. I'm sure that there are other Polaris dealers in your area if you like that specific product.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

As always install is always key and should always be put first.