Looking for replacement windows in Duluth, MN

Share your experiences with others
Jnelson_33

Looking for replacement windows in Duluth, MN

#1 Post by Jnelson_33 »

So I’ve had few pushy quotes. Windows Concepts of MN (Polaris Upgraded Ultra Weld he said) Your Home Improvement Company (Today only price you wont use me if you don’t agree today because the price is going up)…Any way I’ve seen post about Okna, Softlite and Sunrise. Could I try and buy the windows from somewhere in the Twin Cities and hire a handy man or would you recommend going through just a window contractor. I have Integrity by Marvin windows and they are molding like crazy, they are casement windows but for the cost have thought about sliders, 9 of my windows are really large and have a sliding door I’m looking at too.

Windows on Washington

Re: Looking for replacement windows in Duluth, MN

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The UltraWeld is a heck of a good window. And while there might be some salesmanship in there, prices are definitely still going up. I can certainly speak to that.

Jnelson_33

#3 Post by Jnelson_33 »

So my window sized are 82”x61”, 62”x61”, 2 of 26”x37”, 54”x45”, 6 of 55”x58” and a sliding door 72”x81”…all together for the Polaris installed was a little over 30k for all sliders except the 2 smaller were double hung. Are casement windows worth the extra cost (said 6K more for my 2 big windows up stairs and the 2 smaller) Got a quote of triple pane Provia and of Minnkota and they were higher, Your Home Improvement company was cheaper. Have a guy that sells Great Lakes by Plygem and hoping to get a Soft-Lite guy out too. Can’t find a Okna dealer so far to come up this far. Also my buddies father in law owns Walsh Windows so he’s pricing those out as well, I looked at them in his new house today and they seemed nice.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Check the air infiltration numbers on everything.

The other two brands you mentioned don't line up well with the UltraWeld in terms of quality.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Good advice above, the Polaris is nice.

I'd just emphasize that you really want to go with a window company that provides the window and the install. Buying DIY and hiring a handyman is a recipe for disaster for a whole host of reasons, with the big one being lack of accountability. Windows have a lot of moving parts and items that can fail and/or or perform poorly if not installed correctly, you don't want to be stuck in the middle when the window supplier blames the installer and the installer blames the window. You are essentially a GC at that point, however without the knowledge or influence over either party to get things handled to your satisfaction.

Jnelson_33

#6 Post by Jnelson_33 »

So my buddies father in law is I believe an owner at Walsh Windows in Duluth and they have a contractor coming to give me a quote as well. I attached their numbers from their windows and would be looking at doing the foam in either number 3 or 4. They aren’t as good as Polaris but very similar, he was really selling me on their warranty which seemed really good. Still hoping for a Soft-Lite quote too as their number seem almost identical to the Polaris. But can any of the experts here tell me if the Tundra numbers are good? Thanks in advance
https://walshwindows.com/resources/Walsh6000.pdf
Attachments
IMG_0047.png

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Thermal numbers are okay. Don't see any reference to air infiltration numbers.