Metal half round frame in stucco

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
remote_pilot

Metal half round frame in stucco

#1 Post by remote_pilot »

Looking forward to some expert advice

I’m going to replace this window during a bath remodel. The new window is an insert fairly straight forward install I suspect. The challenge is removing the existing window

I was told to use a multi tool and cut the frame free of the flange from the inside. You notice I removed one tile to take a look. It looks doable and makes sense but I’d like to hear others advise.

I also see from the outside it appears the frame does extend into stucco about a 1/4” so I suspect I will have some stucco damage from cutting the flange

What do y’all think
Attachments
DCAF80C2-8BC5-4D32-A549-ADAE75786B83.jpeg
1B782040-6285-48F9-9454-BE8DB18D24A9.jpeg
F5FD9101-04B5-4BCF-A17B-9F5EF838D632.jpeg
F1EBE27A-E770-4025-8969-23E34A78163B.jpeg

Delaware Mike

Re: Metal half round frame in stucco

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Heat gun or torch to loosen glass from glazing putty of death that holds glass to aluminum frame first. Gloves and safety glasses. Sharpen 3" tapered flexible putty knife. I sharpen the edges and side with a mill file. You can also utilize a multi oscillating tool with a scraper blade or old blade with no teeth. Most folks with leave the flange in so you don't crack or damage the stucco although some will remove as well.

remote_pilot

#3 Post by remote_pilot »

So I have to remove the glass panes first. Ugg.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

You don't have to. However, it has snap in glazing beads that come loose without a lot of trouble it may make sense and be safer. Some of that extruded aluminum on those metal windows are kind of thick in regards to the nailing flange unlike the lighter gauge stuff on Pella type window. You may need a sawzal for the cutting?

remote_pilot

#5 Post by remote_pilot »

Delaware Mike wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:30 pm You don't have to. However, it has snap in glazing beads that come loose without a lot of trouble it may make sense and be safer. Some of that extruded aluminum on those metal windows are kind of thick in regards to the nailing flange unlike the lighter gauge stuff on Pella type window. You may need a sawzal for the cutting?
I’m getting quotes for someone else to do it lol. So far from 250-350 and another for 475. I figure a pro could do this in 3 hrs or less.