Okna vs Others - Windows and Sliders Northern Connecticut

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
needwindowsct

Okna vs Others - Windows and Sliders Northern Connecticut

#1 Post by needwindowsct »

We are looking to replace the windows and sliding patio doors on our colonial. We have 32 windows and 2 six foot sliders. Having read the forum and reviews, it seems that Okna is a top notch brand and Window World is not so much but a decent window

I got a quote for both and obviously window world was cheaper. Window world also told me these are windows from MI not AMI. We also Got a quote from a local contractor who uses MI windows, so I assume they are window worlds version of the same MI window the local contractor uses. Our current windows are original to house 1989 wooden windows.

Sorry for so many questions, just trying to make a smart decision. We plan on being in the house for the next 20-30 years.

First question, is the Okna worth the extra cash. Both windows and installers have a lifetime warranty on labor and parts.

Second question - is triple pane glass worth it. We have a 3300 square foot colonial and heating/cooling it is a lot.

Third question - Is new construction replacement worth extra cost vs replacement.

Four question - One company was trying to sell me on Oknoplast windows from Europe. They looked pretty cool but I couldn’t find much in quality compared to Okna.

Here are the Quotes
Window world - $59228 - triple pane - new construction with azek trim
Window world - $56440 - double pane - new construction with azek trim
Window world - $43050 - double pane - replacement

Local contractor - $40,650 - double pane - new construction - MI 1650 windows - concerned about warranty as only warranty is through manufacturer

Seven suns - $66776 - triple pane - new construction - azek trim Okna 800
Seven Suns - $58862 - double pane - new construction- azek trim Okna 800
Seven suns - $63064 - triple pane - new construction - Okna 500
Seven suns - $55150 - double pane - new construction - Okna 500
Seven suns - $42086 - double pane - replacement - Okna 800
Seven suns $ 38374 - double pane - replacement - Okna 500

Windows on Washington

Re: Okna vs Others - Windows and Sliders Northern Connecticut

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Just looking at the two top line estimates and do the math comparative there....

The Okna 800 is easily worth the 12% premium over the Alside product. Just looking at that comparison, pretty easy math and I don't want to seem flippant with your $7,000.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

needwindowsct wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:16 pm We are looking to replace the windows and sliding patio doors on our colonial. We have 32 windows and 2 six foot sliders. Having read the forum and reviews, it seems that Okna is a top notch brand and Window World is not so much but a decent window
I don't think most pros would characterize that as a "decent window".
needwindowsct wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:16 pm I got a quote for both and obviously window world was cheaper. Window world also told me these are windows from MI not AMI. We also Got a quote from a local contractor who uses MI windows, so I assume they are window worlds version of the same MI window the local contractor uses. Our current windows are original to house 1989 wooden windows.
I definitely would not assume that. MI has acquired other manufacturers and has several different lines. Their "bread and butter" remains entry level windows IMO, however the Sunrise line that they took over is still well regarded.

needwindowsct wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:16 pm First question, is the Okna worth the extra cash. Both windows and installers have a lifetime warranty on labor and parts.
Easily. As WoW alluded to, $7k is not chump change, however neither is $50k +/- and spending that kind of money on a poor option would be catastrophic.
needwindowsct wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:16 pmSecond question - is triple pane glass worth it. We have a 3300 square foot colonial and heating/cooling it is a lot.
Generally yes it is. Triple pane is quickly becoming the new normal, particularly in colder regions.
needwindowsct wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:16 pm Third question - Is new construction replacement worth extra cost vs replacement.
This one is more tricky. Yes it's more comprehensive, but not always money well spent if the original frames are in sound condition and there are no leaking issues etc.

needwindowsct wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:16 pm
Four question - One company was trying to sell me on Oknoplast windows from Europe. They looked pretty cool but I couldn’t find much in quality compared to Okna.
While I have not used them, to my knowledge they are good perfomers. With that said, sourcing product from overseas presents a whole bag of worms that I'd avoid if at all possible.

Ricknez

#4 Post by Ricknez »

MI Windows are certainly not a well regarded brand. This is a project you want to do once, not twice or you will be paying much more. Okna do a great job with their windows.
Far too many homeowners use the age old excuse that " this is not our forever home" and skimp on quality. That is not a smart financial decision in my view and almost always ends up with regret.
What is the MI pricing for their 2 patio doors?

needwindowsct

#5 Post by needwindowsct »

Thank you for the responses! Your opinions have helped convince my wife that it’s worth spending the extra dough on the better windows. It just solidified my thoughts and gut feeling.

Thanks again!