Should I wrap exterior with metal

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
NYSnooter

Should I wrap exterior with metal

#1 Post by NYSnooter »

I currently have wood windows. I live the Western NC (North Central Zone). We are having vinyl replacement windows installed. Some folks are recommending to wrap the exterior wood. Some are against it because the metal and wood would absorb heat at different rates and could create issues down the road. Would love to hear some other opinions. Picture of exterior existing wood frame below
Exterior existing window.jpg

HomeSealed

Re: Should I wrap exterior with metal

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Aluminum trim is a very common and effective way to finish the exterior on a window installation.

I'm generally a diplomatic guy these days, but the anybody that gives you the line of crap about heat absorption should be disqualified from consideration. Total nothing burger. Metal is affixed to wood all day every day in an infinite number of applications, many, many being in building materials.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

Aluminum over wood is the norm , if done right it In excellent solution, if done wrong it can look bad and create water problems. A good pro could handle that situation either way . I think the aluminum work is an art and it really separates the pro’s from hacks’s.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

By a qualified pro, I wood...haha pun intentional.

But seriously, like the two qualified pros above me, done right, it's a great addition and makes for a tighter and more weatherproof opening.

NYSnooter

#5 Post by NYSnooter »

Thanks fellas. I feel comfortable about the process itself now. Sadly I won't be able to judge the quality of the job till they are doing it. I know all to well, how just a few extra minutes to detail can make a world of difference in the final appearance

Ricknez

#6 Post by Ricknez »

Most window companies do a decent job at capping. It's not rocket science. Problems occur when guys that do windows on weekends or basement remodelers that claim to do " everything".