1979 Dbl Pane Aluminum Frames are “SHOT”

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
WHITE GAS

1979 Dbl Pane Aluminum Frames are “SHOT”

#1 Post by WHITE GAS »

[attachment=0]IMG_0097.jpeg[/attachment]
Assumed I’d be looking for an Okna dealer here in Cincinnati, only to just see a posting from Dayton Ohio that there are zero Okna dealers here in Southern Ohio. Today it’s 11 degrees outside and I’ve included an interior pic of one of my master bedroom windows. I’m ashamed to admit that each night my wife’s head is a mere 2’ from this window. I’m even further ashamed to tell you that I’m a second generation union carpenter that’s been a member in the trade for 40yrs.
Yes, it’s way past time for my builder grade windows to go. I reside in a brick ranch and there are a total of 12 dbl hung windows. Wife & I are 65, and may not be retiring in our home of the last 33yrs. Will be installing these myself if the window w/ install price is too exorbitant. DO NOT want to install garbage, but at the same token the home does not warrant top of the line architectural series windows.
Please recommend a few alternatives. Yes, dbl hungs will be going back in.

WHITE GAS

Re: 1979 Dbl Pane Aluminum Frames are “SHOT”

#2 Post by WHITE GAS »

Adding this temp pic that I should have included w/ original post.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Nothing to be ashamed about. They worked well and for a good long time.

Okna won't provided homeowner installed materials although dealers do assist in materials only situations.

I would definitely look for a triple pane option and from either Soft-Lite, Okna, Sunrise, or Polaris.

Bdstuart

#4 Post by Bdstuart »

I am in Cincinnati and had an outstanding experience (after great help from the pros here) getting triple pane Soft Lite Elememts and sliding door from Windows Plus in the summer of 2023. They were truly zero pressure, great prices, great to deal with. I was originally a little worried about the VT on the triple pane but so glad I didn’t allow that to steer me towards a double pane option. Got used to the new windows very quickly and on a “normal size” window, it allows plenty of light in. Cold snaps like we are having right now make us so glad we chose triple pane.

Sunrise is also a good option here from Windows Direct…that ended up being my #2 choice after learning Okna not an option and getting quotes for Softlite Imperial (horrible experience talking with them…high pressure and clearly not knowledgeable), RBA, and Marvin.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

Modern Builders may be a good source for material only.
They sell Polaris.

WHITE GAS

#6 Post by WHITE GAS »

Thanks so much to WOW and toddinmn for the info and a special thanks to a fellow Cincinnatian Bdstuart.

Bdstuart, I will follow up on your advice and seek out further info w/ Windows Plus on your recommendation of using triple pane Soft Lite Elements replacements in my brick home. I, as well, will need a slider patio door replaced to complete my exterior envelope.
As previously stated, I’ve been a union carpenter for 40yrs. I have more than a fair amount of concern with having a sub contractor install whichever windows I end up choosing. A costly, quality product installed incorrectly is of no interest to me. I’m not a young pup by any stretch, but I’m willing to put my body thru the physical abuse to be assured of a quality install.
Hoping to post beneficial information for those who will come after me. Bdstuart, can you give me a rough approximation of your dollar cost per window w/ a breakout cost for the slider?
Many, many thx in advance.
White Gas

Bdstuart

#7 Post by Bdstuart »

I got a homeshow discount…I don’t know if that was actually larger than usual but passing that along since there is a home show in Sharonville this weekend. I had them install everything…did nothing myself.

Sliding door: ~$2800
Windows: average price around $1100…I had many different sizes so it varied quite a bit by window

WHITE GAS

#8 Post by WHITE GAS »

Many thanks!!!

WHITE GAS

#9 Post by WHITE GAS »

Slider failure as previously mentioned.
EEA40EE2-FBC0-43EC-B30E-61DF8E45AA50.jpeg

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Keep us posted on the progress.

WHITE GAS

#11 Post by WHITE GAS »

Bdstuart wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:06 pm I got a homeshow discount…I don’t know if that was actually larger than usual but passing that along since there is a home show in Sharonville this weekend. I had them install everything…did nothing myself.

Sliding door: ~$2800
Windows: average price around $1100…I had many different sizes so it varied quite a bit by window
Bdstuart
Took your advice back in January and attended the Sharonville home show. Fast forward to the last day of February…30% self install discount, 25% Sharonville show discount, 10% order b4 March 1st discount from SoftLite, and a 5% discount for cash or personal check. Purchased the Elements triple pane, ultra glass low e argon. Can’t thank u enough for the heads up on Windows Plus here in Cincy. Total professionals, zero pressure, heck of a product. Guess u know what I’ll b up to this Summer. If it weren’t for you reaching out, I may have never even considered them.
MANY MANY MANY THANKS !!!

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Let's see some of those follow up install pics when they are done.