Replacing the glass from another identical window

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Homejon

Replacing the glass from another identical window

#1 Post by Homejon »

I live in a tract house where neighbors are replacing their aluminum windows with vinyl ones. I have a double pane sliding window 59" wide x 72" high. The seal has failed and both windows are foggy. I want to use an identical window from a neighbor. The sliding window is a no brainer to replace but I'm wondering if the stationary window will present any problems? Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacing the glass from another identical window

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Fixed panels are either a movable panel that is "pinned" in place or a direct set like a single hung window. Can you post up some pictures? Either way, should be doable.

Either way, if you are trying to buy some time or use some of your neighbor's sashes to extend the life of your openings, I would get at least one representative "donor" sash for each of the sizes in your home as well.

Homejon

#3 Post by Homejon »

Thank you for the help! The photos show the problem window. The stationary pane on the right is the one needing replacement. From what I gather the center support needs to be removed but I don't see a way to do this.
window closeup.JPG
window.JPG

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

Many 80's/90's era aluminum builder's grade windows have way more aggressive glazing sealants holding the glass to the aluminum sashes and frames than what we see in modern vinyl windows. When we go to deglaze them for safe removal, we have to implement a torch to active the glazing compounds to release the glass. Just saying.........

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If the installers get one out in decent shape then you can use it.
Not only is it old, it is thin builders grade glass. Instead o 1/8 it is single strength and cracks easily.
theWindowNerd.com

jessicavergas

#6 Post by jessicavergas »

Replacing a stationary window should not present significant challenges compared to replacing a sliding window. Since the dimensions of the replacement window match those of your existing stationary window, the installation process should be relatively straightforward. However, there are a few factors to consider:

1. Frame Compatibility: Ensure that the frame of the replacement vinyl window is compatible with your existing window frame. Check for any differences in frame thickness, depth, or shape that may affect the fit.

2. Anchoring and Sealing: Properly anchor and seal the replacement window to prevent air or water leaks. Use appropriate weatherstripping and caulking to create a tight seal between the window frame and the opening.

3. Insulation: Consider adding insulation around the window frame to improve energy efficiency and minimize heat transfer.

4. Trim and Finishing: Plan for any necessary trim or finishing work to complete the installation and ensure a seamless appearance.

Overall, replacing a stationary window with an identical replacement should be a manageable task, especially if you have experience with window installations. However, if you are unsure or encounter any difficulties during the process, it may be helpful to consult a professional installer for guidance or assistance.

Best of luck with your window replacement project! If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to ask for additional assistance.

Homejon

#7 Post by Homejon »

Thanks for all the responses!

I still need suggestions on how to remove the center vertical frame piece. I'm assuming removing the piece will allow me to get to whatever is holding the stationary window in place.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I think post 6 missed the point.
You are deglazing an existing IGU to reglaze into a different frame.
That fixed CMR will stay in place till you demo the whole frame.
To deglaze the glass you need to remove the glazing stops, insert and run a putty knife between the exterior glass surface and the aluminum frame that it is glazed into, this is where it will crack from the pressure. Once lose remove and install into other unit reversing the process.
theWindowNerd