Issues with Anlin Windows in Denver, Colorado

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
takeittothehouse

Issues with Anlin Windows in Denver, Colorado

#1 Post by takeittothehouse »

We had all of our windows and 3 sliders replaced with Anlin products last May (2023). There were a few things that concerned us a little bit and when we had our big storm in January those few things turned into big concerns. I am wondering if anyone here has had issues with Anlin products as we have heard comments about how possibly Anlin was not prepared/made for the weather fluctuations we have here in Colorado.

No one will give me concrete answers but from what I can deduce, the issues lay with the air gaps they have in the windows. We noticed the windows getting dirty fast and flies getting in the house with the new windows - we did not run into this issue with our old windows. But when the storm came, we had caked ice half way up the windows on the inside. This is a huge concern as the promised efficiency is (obviously) not there and even with their water flow holes we had water dripping on the inside of the house as it melted.

Anlin has come out twice. They said there is no way to test the windows for efficiency. They replaced the glass on 2 awning windows that were gapping at the bottom and added block pads on 2 windows that had air gaps. The block pads will probably help with air flow but they make the windows hard to open (both hands and some muscle) which is not the easy to open windows that they sold us. They would be willing to do this on all the windows but I don't think this is a fair solution and seems like a band aid.

I am trying to figure out if this is a product issue, an installation issue or if (somehow) this is normal. I am not sure where to go from here and am hoping to get some direction / input here.

Windows on Washington

Re: Issues with Anlin Windows in Denver, Colorado

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Let's see some pictures but what you are describing so far sounds more install related than product to be honest.

takeittothehouse

#3 Post by takeittothehouse »

Here is 1 pic with the gap (of the windows they replaced) and 3 of windows with ice
Attachments
IMG_0067.jpeg
IMG_0075.jpeg
IMG_0080.jpeg
IMG_0081.jpeg

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Could of things that could likely being going on here and I don't think you will necessarily like my assessment.

Do you have heavy drapes or tight fitting blinds on that window opening? What is your conditioned air relative humidity level like?

While it might be counter intuitive, we have tested and observed the following phenomena.

- Client replaces his older and drafty double hungs which have never had condensation issues
- Client does not have drapes, blinds, or window coverings so this complicating factor is removed
- Client calls us the day after the installation and says all of his windows are sweating and icing up
- We go out to inspect
- Relative humidity is sky high because his previously drafty windows were exchanging the air in the home as well as unintentionally venting moisture near the window surface that would be the condensing/icing moisture source
- Client reduces the setting on his humidifier and we re-check the humidity level the next day to get it into range
- Client fine tunes the humidity settings over the coming days as the amount of air being lost out of the home, i.e. moisture that needs to be replaced, has been so reduced that his ultimate setting on his humidifier is at 25% of its previous setting
- No more sweating or icing issues.

If you do have blinds or shades on that window, that will only exacerbate the formation that much more.

Long story short, we have seen that installing a tighter window, if humidity isn't controlled or how it aggregates is controlled for, can lead to the formation of issues where there were previously "none". Now...the reason that there weren't issues before (in the case of our client) is because the window was leaking so darn much air that it was actually drying the window surface out.

Recommendations...
- check the humidity levels and check right near the window if you have the blinds closed...you'll be surprised
- leave the blinds open
- as a science experiment, crack the window the tiniest bit and see if that doesn't remediate the issue. That isn't a long term recommendation, just sanity checking the theory of a tighter window that isn't leaking in dryer air, isn't actually solving the moisture problem.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

BTW...formation on the edges of the window (i.e. where it is thermally bridged) would be how and where any window will sweat. The only one that isn't a great indicator of tightness is where the frame is sweating in the top picture. That could be a fitment issue.

WindowsDirectCinci

#6 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Wow is spot on here. I would first check your home humidity levels. Aside from humidity issues, the first photo looks like there is a fitment issue between the frame and sash. Almost like the window isn't fully closed

Randy

#7 Post by Randy »

Just to add one more thing, I’m pretty sure that all of Anlin’s hung windows utilize a pocket sill with weep holes, which are usually bad about leaking air.