Milgard Classic vs. Empire Pacific

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
schnoodletyrrel

Milgard Classic vs. Empire Pacific

#1 Post by schnoodletyrrel »

We are getting ready to replace all our windows and I really like the looks of the Milgard Classic. We are doing all new construction and have a contractor who we trust and I know he'll do a good job.

What bothers me about the Milgard Classic is the positive action lock. A sales rep (who knows what his motives were) told me he could break into a Milgard window with a putty knife. Somehow this has stuck with me and I'm concerned about the locking mechanism. Honestly, if you look at the lock on a Milgard, it seems like you might be able to force it open. I know that the window meets CA forced entry requirements, but I'm still concerned.

I also like the Empire Pacific windows which have a similar look to the Milgard, but have a cam lock. I don't know how the two compare in quality and I also cannot find any info on the EPI website about warranty. Furthermore, there are not very many comapnies who carry the EPI in my area, so I'm not sure if that's a sign about the quality of the product.

Also, what's all this debate about the Milgard spacers. Are they aluminum, steel, or something else? It doesn't say in the materials I have on Milgard.

What other windows are there that compare in price, quality and look to Milgard Classic that have a cam (or two) locking mechanism. Any advide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

earwax

#2 Post by earwax »

I was at a seminar with a manager from EPI where he was learning the correct way to insulate glass. He had been running their glass ffabrication line for over a year already. This being said, I would take the Milgard over the EPI for many reason. Quality, warranty, design and the lock. EPI uses the cam lock still because they have not stepped up. They have looked into it. If the sales rep can break into at poslock with a putty knife, ask him to show you. (I have tried, could not do it. Old sales ploy to sell against Milgard). The warranty on the EPI used to be parts only, not sure if they changed that yet. I like the even sight line of the Milgard and the overall simple lines.

EPI is a cut below in the market they sell in. If you are looking in that price range, look at a Jeld-Wen premium vinyl product. You will be happier with that window.

squeege73

#3 Post by squeege73 »

I run into this all the time. You can't break into a Milgard Classic with a putty knife, end of story. I agree with earwax, this is a sales ploy by people that don;t know any better. Honestly, if you could break into the window with a putty knife, the window would never be allowed to have an AAMA label. If you don't pass California forced entry standards, no AAMA label.

The next question you should ask yourself is why did they re-brand themselves? They used to be known as EPI, but changed to Empire Pacific Windows. Reason: bad reputation. They decided to go on a major advertising blitz to make the EPI name go away.

As for the rest of EPW's product line, they do offer an even sight line product, except they never sell it. It is a cheap snap in extrusion that has air infiltration problems. Also, they have their own version of a "positive action lock" that has an exposed screw at the top and looks pretty bad.

As you can tell, I am a little biased against the EPW product. I have had nothing but problems in dealing with them, and the two people I work with that are former employees of theirs tell nothing but horror stories. Buyer beware...

earwax

#4 Post by earwax »

amen squeege73
:x

WASHWIN6

#5 Post by WASHWIN6 »

It's good to see this info. One of the bids I just got (on a whole house window replacement project) was for EPI and they were about $2K less than the bid for CertainTeed.

mman

#6 Post by mman »

Out of all those brands, you will usually see the Milgard bid come in higher.. reason, support and quality will be better down the road. All three have their strong points, but Milgard will give you the better overall taste in your mouth 10 years down the road.
WINDOW GEEKS UNITE!