Replacement windows??

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
tammy

Replacement windows??

#1 Post by tammy »

I'm so confused and need help. Is it better to replace our existing windows with vinyl retrofit windows or tear out the old aluminum frames to install new vinyl windows? Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

squeege73

#2 Post by squeege73 »

tammy,

A little more info would go a long way. What kind of siding/exterior on your house? Do you live in a wet or dry climate? Are you planning on doing any other updating to the exterior of your home, i.e. new siding?

The guys around here won't steer you the wrong way if they get a little more info. Good luck.

tammy

Replacement windows??

#3 Post by tammy »

Thanks for your questions:

We live in northern california. Temps get pretty hot in summer (90's to 100's) and can get fairly cold in the winter (anywhere from 60's to 20's). Not an extremely wet climate (like the coast) yet not excessively dry (like the desert regions). A nice middle ground.

The front of our house is brick with 2x4's around the windows. The back is stucco. Some window people are saying they can remove the window frame without ruining the barrier or stucco. I don't understand how.

We do not want to do anything that will require fixing the stucco around the back windows and want to do as little as possible as far as fixing the front yet we don't care for the "look" of retrofit but would if that is the best option.

Thanks again for any help you can give.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

On the front windows, if the 2 x 4's were installed over the fins and then the brick was installed up next to the 2 x 4's, then those could be done with a total tearout, which may give you a better look on the front of your home. Your choice of method.
On the others, to preserve the stucco a tearout is not feasable and the retrofit method is the way to go.

tammy

Replacement windows??

#5 Post by tammy »

Thank you for your input! You reinforced what my gutt feeling was telling me.

Thanks again!

Tammy