vinyl clad vs aluminum clad wood windows

Share your experiences with others
cciarp

vinyl clad vs aluminum clad wood windows

#1 Post by cciarp »

It just gets more confusing. I am replacing windows in my home and to date only have one estimate. In arranging for a second estimate, the salesman I spoke to told me that aluminum clad windows are a better product that vinyl. He said he does not even sell vinyl because the finish on vinyl fades too quick. Aluminum clad will last much longer because the finish is baked on. Opinions would be helpful.

Jim B

Vinyl clad vs. aluminum clad wood windows

#2 Post by Jim B »

I have similar questions as the original poster on this topic. Based on the large number of views for this topic, there is a lot of interest - but no replies. How about some help from some of you experts out there ? :D

Our situation: we live in a 25 year old log home in NE Texas and need to replace the existing aluminum double pane windows - they are at the end of their useful life. We get a lot of direct, hot summer sun on the windows in summer and are trying to determine whether vinyl or aluminum clad wood windows would have the longest life span in terms of both durability and appearance - for aesthetics we hope to find an exterior window finish in a dark brown.

If anyone wants to venture into the swamp of brand and/or model recommendations, that would be of interest as well.

Thanks for the suggestions.