Vinyl Replacement windows: Newpro? Sears? Someone else?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jbroses

Vinyl Replacement windows: Newpro? Sears? Someone else?

#1 Post by jbroses »

I live in the Boston area, and I've recently gotten estimates from Sears and Newpro.

My main concern is quality. The windows we have are no-name, and are horrible (they were here when we bought the place). We'll probably only be here another 5-8 years, but when we sell the place, I don't want to have to discount the price because of low-quality replacement windows.

We're looking at replacing a minimum of 3 windows, the dimensions of hte openings are:

27.5" x 60" (2 of these)
33.5" x 60"

Newpro's estimate was $4,660, Sears was $3,659. Are these prices absurd? We may do as many as 22 replacements if we find the right brand and price.

Quality is more important than price, but I also don't want to get taken for a ride. Frankly, the "20% off if you sign tonight... no, wait, I can add another 10% off" is a little ridiculous, but it definitely lets me know negotiation is open.

Is there a way to rank the relative quality of windows? Ideally, I'd like to know which is better quality, Sears and Newpro, and maybe one brand that's higher quality, one lower quality, and one in between the two. Obviously this isn't the easiest thing to do, but I'm lokoing for a rough gauge.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Windows on Washington

Re: Vinyl Replacement windows: Newpro? Sears? Someone else

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

jbroses wrote:I live in the Boston area, and I've recently gotten estimates from Sears and Newpro.

My main concern is quality. The windows we have are no-name, and are horrible (they were here when we bought the place). We'll probably only be here another 5-8 years, but when we sell the place, I don't want to have to discount the price because of low-quality replacement windows.

We're looking at replacing a minimum of 3 windows, the dimensions of hte openings are:

27.5" x 60" (2 of these)
33.5" x 60"

Newpro's estimate was $4,660, Sears was $3,659. Are these prices absurd? We may do as many as 22 replacements if we find the right brand and price.

Quality is more important than price, but I also don't want to get taken for a ride. Frankly, the "20% off if you sign tonight... no, wait, I can add another 10% off" is a little ridiculous, but it definitely lets me know negotiation is open.
Is there a way to rank the relative quality of windows? Ideally, I'd like to know which is better quality, Sears and Newpro, and maybe one brand that's higher quality, one lower quality, and one in between the two. Obviously this isn't the easiest thing to do, but I'm lokoing for a rough gauge.
Any help is very much appreciated!
Yes

There is room for negotiation becuase they are pricing that window basically twice as high as normal people sell it.

You are in the right place for information. Keep reading and wait for the responses.

Skydawggy.

#3 Post by Skydawggy. »

Those prices are absurd, assuming they are for double pane IMO. The Sears window is made by Simonton. I'd call a few companies in your area and see if they carry Simonton if you really liked the window. I don't have any experience with the Newpro, but if you give some more info such as U values etc. we can give you some generic advice. Or there may be someon posting who's had experience with Newpro.

jbroses

#4 Post by jbroses »

The Newpro windows were triple pane, with 2 low-e coatings, I think.

I guess the bottom line is, where do I go to find someone who will sell and install these windows at "normal" price? I don't really know where to begin...

Bill

#5 Post by Bill »

You can go to Simontons web side www.simonton.com click on homeowner then dealer locator, a list of distributors in your area will appear possibly one of them could recommend a good install company.

The window that Sears showed you is the Reflections 5500 re-branded if you want a triple pane system as you described that can be had in the top of the line Impressions 9800 with Super Sensor glass.

Bill

Skydawggy.

#6 Post by Skydawggy. »

jbroses wrote:The Newpro windows were triple pane, with 2 low-e coatings, I think.
That's still an absurd price IMO.

I agree with Bill. Look on the Simonton website for a local contractor. Check out the 9800 with triple pane if triple pane is what you have decided suits your needs.