DP question Breakout

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
mttownse

DP question Breakout

#1 Post by mttownse »

I broke this out from a longer post as I am hoping to nail down the DP swap question ASAP for ordering and then will worry about install intricacies later.

We had a leaking MI Doors and Windows 910 DP50 door replaced with a Simonton Innovo DP50 (or so we thought).

I live in coastal GA - savannah- and am about 15 miles from the coast. Our house has seen winds up to 110 sustained but thats primarily storm luck as all the big guys have missed us. In summer its not uncommon to have daily storms with 40-50mph winds.

We were quoted the DP50 and they Installed the DP35. The owner admitted the mistake and has offered to replace the door with the DP50 or give me an undisclosed discount. My question is, is there any reason I wouldn't want to go with the DP50 to match the original door. I know the air infiltration numbers go from .17 to .22 cfm/sqft at 25mph but I dont have feel for if that is bad or not. I feel like the stiffness from the upgrade would help with water infiltration in TSs and keep the air infiltration more consistent as wind speeds increase.

Windows on Washington

Re: DP question Breakout

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Did the contractor clarify what is different about the DP50 door vs. the DP35 door? Shouldn't be any real change in the frame, but the glass in the door and possibly the threshold would be different.

mttownse

#3 Post by mttownse »

Not really. If its just the glass, would the air/water penetration numbers change.

The manufacturer specs say the DP50 gets a reinforcement package - F2.

https://www.simonton.com/wp-content/upl ... ctural.pdf

mttownse

#4 Post by mttownse »

The new door at a DP 35 has a worse water intrusion pressure than the door we replaced - which leaked.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

What is in that "reinforcement" package? If the frame and threshold are the same, the slab swap should be easy.

mttownse

#6 Post by mttownse »

Slab Swap?

mttownse

#7 Post by mttownse »

Windows on Washington wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:44 pm What is in that "reinforcement" package? If the frame and threshold are the same, the slab swap should be easy.
Slab Swap?

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

The swinging part of the door would be called the "slab".