Incorrectly framed new window installation

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
JohnW8866

Incorrectly framed new window installation

#1 Post by JohnW8866 »

Hi, I hired a contractor to do a new window installation in my bathroom. I came home too find this is what has been done. Before I start questioning my contractors capabilities I want to verify that this is in fact incorrectly done. The window frame has a half inch space between the window and the frame on the right side and little to no space I'm the other three sides. And from what I understand how it is currently done is putting substantial weight on the window that will cause this window to crack and or the house to start drooping over time due to the lack of stud support. I have attached two photos showing the work that has been done.
Attachments
IMG_20230825_122550.jpg
IMG_20230825_122529.jpg

uncle eddie

Re: Incorrectly framed new window installation

#2 Post by uncle eddie »

This work was not done by a contractor. Get your money back right away and hire someone qualified. I'm sure it will probably cost a lot more, and for good reason.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Is that a 1 story home? But yes...this was not done correctly.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

Oh my. Might wanna get that window out of there.
Just google “window header” and you see how it is done.

JohnW8866

#5 Post by JohnW8866 »

Windows on Washington wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:10 pm Is that a 1 story home? But yes...this was not done correctly.
Hey, it is not a 1 story home. Why do you ask?

Update: I brought the issue up to my " contractor " and provided a diagram of what it should look like which he complied and corrected it but then after he corrected the issue came with a statement that "he knew that that's how it was supposed to be framed, and he planned on doing it that way prior to me telling him... Even though he let it sit like that for two and a half days and was about to install the tub when he returned.
Attachments
IMG_20230829_012935.jpg

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

I asked because that would mean the wall was only bearing the roof load.

Is this on the upstairs floor then?

uncle eddie

#7 Post by uncle eddie »

JohnW8866 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:33 am
Windows on Washington wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:10 pm Is that a 1 story home? But yes...this was not done correctly.
Hey, it is not a 1 story home. Why do you ask?

Update: I brought the issue up to my " contractor " and provided a diagram of what it should look like which he complied and corrected it but then after he corrected the issue came with a statement that "he knew that that's how it was supposed to be framed, and he planned on doing it that way prior to me telling him... Even though he let it sit like that for two and a half days and was about to install the tub when he returned.
There is no scenario where that would make any sense, unless maybe he had a trainee do it without supervision and planned to correct. If the same guy telling you this story is the one that did it, not only is he completely incompetent, he's also a liar.

WindowsDirectCinci

#8 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Better watch out for other shortcuts. That frame job screams hack to me. He probably did know that was supposed to be framed with a header he just chose not to do it. The way he fixed it will probably suffice but I still would have not done it that way

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Suffice...maybe. With roof load...maybe not. A 3.5" header is not appropriate in most jurisdictions for spanning a 4' opening.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd agree with the others... bad news all around here. The worst part is that as alluded to above, its still not right and probably won't pass inspection. Hopefully this work is being completed with permits.

I'd agree that finding a competent professional to finish this project is probably your best bet.

JohnW8866

#11 Post by JohnW8866 »

Windows on Washington wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:57 pm Suffice...maybe. With roof load...maybe not. A 3.5" header is not appropriate in most jurisdictions for spanning a 4' opening.
This is a 5 ft opening, sorry about the late reply and thank you for your input. If you could go into detail what is wrong with how he corrected it, how would it not pass inspection? Thanks again

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

We can't answer exactly what is needed without knowing all of the details of your home, but you probably need a 2x6 (double) header here as opposed to 2x4. Once again, if you are needing to educate your contractor on how to do this properly, he should be paying you and not the other way around.

toddinmn

#13 Post by toddinmn »

Might even need a double 2x8. It should have specced out in the plans used to get the permit. The 2nd effort was much improved. But still a hack job.

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

toddinmn wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:10 pm ... It should have specced out in the plans used to get the permit...
^^^THIS^^^

JohnW8866

#15 Post by JohnW8866 »

I am being thrown into helping... doing the rest of this bathroom remodel. I have to complete this bathtub and wall installation minus any plumbing needs. I am hoping for a step by step to do's to complete this project. I'm obviously researching this myself but want to make sure I have everything covered. You don't have to be too detailed but all information is welcome. We will be using durock, red guard, and tiling. And the window still has to be sealed. If you need any more information please let me know and thanks in advance for your time and information!