Polaris Supreme vs Xl Ultimate

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
DriverSS

Polaris Supreme vs Xl Ultimate

#1 Post by DriverSS »

Hello all,

We have 20 windows that need replaced, and we decided that we are going to go with the Polaris Ultraweld triple pane. However I'm trying to decide if it's worth it for me to make the jump from the Supreme package to the xl ultimate 2.

Here are the ratings from the quote I was given.
Supreme
UF: 0.23
SHGC: 0.36
VT: 0.5

XL Ultimate2
UF: 0.19
SHGC: 0.17
VT: 0.33

Is the ultimate worth an extra $130 per window?

Ricknez

Re: Polaris Supreme vs Xl Ultimate

#2 Post by Ricknez »

$130 seems about right for that upgrade, I think its krypton which is very expensive.
Are you located in the extreme north?

DriverSS

#3 Post by DriverSS »

No we are in East Central Indiana. That makes more sense. I thought the the only difference was that the center window had low-e added to it. So I was confused at the big price jump. But I'm still not sure if it's worth it for me. The sound means nothing to me since we live on 10 acres with almost no neighbors and far from the road.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I don't keep up on the specifics of those glass options, what is the CR (condensation resistance) of each?

In your area you'll want to be mindful of that rating and avoid a surface 4 low e coating that knocks that down substantially.

Lastly, do consider that the new Energy Star (most efficient) tax credit requires a .20 u factor or better. That Supreme package is not Energy Star (Most efficient) rated. The XL is, and meets the tax credit qualifications.
Last edited by HomeSealed on Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WindowsDirectCinci

#5 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Aside from price. I would consider the VT rating in my decision. That low of a number on the XL would indicate pretty dark glass. You may want that or may not but it's worth a mention. Also the .20 u factor would be to qualify for the most efficient list and receive a tax credit but the .23 is still energy star rated in the north central zone & northern zone

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

The price increase is inline with dealer cost.
It does not have krypton, just 2 of the 3 panes with Low-E. I don’t know if it’s worth it or not
It appears you are comparing the Supreme 3 to the Ultimate 2. Even though triple pane windows can have low-E on surface 4 it is only more of a concern on dual pane windows. I like the Ultimate 3 with its higher SHGC and VT numbers and lower cost. You could also go. With the Ultimate 3 , it has higher SHGC and VT numbers along with a lower U-value. This should cost the same as as the Ultimate 2.