Nashville TN- Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Escapable1400

Nashville TN- Windows

#1 Post by Escapable1400 »

Does anyone know a Sunrise, Soft-Lite or Okna dealer in Nashville, TN that they have worked with and like?

Nashville1957

Re: Nashville TN- Windows

#2 Post by Nashville1957 »

Did you find any? I’m in the same boat. Did you get your windows replaced yet?

Window Works of Nashville is a reputable company that sells Okna. I’m hoping to get a quote on the 600 series.

Durante Exteriors is the only listed dealer for sunrise.

Zen Windows is listed as the local soft lite option. However, I am getting a quote from them on ProVia. They may have switched from soft lite but I’m not sure.

Anybody know someone installing Windsor? Jeff from YouTube seems to like them, and they’re distributed down here. But I can’t find a company with a website that installs them.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Seems like you have some good options there already in your short list.

Nashville1957

#4 Post by Nashville1957 »

Well I’ve read this forum long enough to be able to narrow it down. It’s a little annoying dealing with each vendor only selling one window line. But I guess that’s the manufacturer’s decision?

Next question, pocket install from inside? Or from the outside with new capping? I have old wood windows. But when the airport was built, adjacent neighborhoods got storm windows. So they’re capped and covered.

Theoretically, I can pocket install from the front and not disturb the exterior. Problem is, I’ve learned that the storm windows have to go to keep the new windows warranty valid. That will expose uncapped wood. They only capped the wood necessary to meet the storm window. Should I then just go from the outside and get new capping?

I’m worried about glass loss with the new vinyl windows like the Okna 600’s. Should I entertain removing some of the old frame, like just the sides, to compensate for glass loss? Or am I opening a can of worms that should not be?

Thanks, I’ll have more when the quotes arrive.

jessicavergas

#5 Post by jessicavergas »

It looks like you've done some thorough research into window dealers in Nashville, TN! Here's what I found based on your inquiries:

1. For Okna windows, Window Works of Nashville is a reputable dealer worth considering. They should be able to provide you with a quote on the 600 series.

2. Durante Exteriors appears to be the primary dealer for Sunrise windows in the area. They can likely assist you with a quote and installation of Sunrise windows.

In terms of my personal window replacement journey, I haven't embarked on that project yet, but I'm glad to share the information I've gathered to assist you with yours! Good luck with your window replacement project, and I hope you find the perfect dealer and windows for your home.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

It's nice when other research oriented posters help other folks in a similar purchasing lifecycle.

Nashville1957

#7 Post by Nashville1957 »

QUOTES are in! Window Works of Nashville is the only Okna dealer in my area and they only carry Okna 600 and Starmark. I was quoted white on white, no grids, double pane heat seal deluxe, and I believe full frame replacement.

18 Windows (13 DH600dx, 1 double DH600dx, and 1 triple DH-PW-DH)

$23,400 for Eco Pro 600 series
$28,800 for Starmark Composite

Is this reasonable? The only frame of reference I have is a 3 year old RBA quote for $26,600 pocket installation. It's a bit higher than I wanted, but if Okna is the best, it's the best. Should I look into Sunrise, Soft-Lite, or ProVia? Or will other brands come in around the same target?

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

What are the installation details. What kind of window is coming out?

Prices 3 years ago are...well...far away from where we are now. Sadly.

Probably safe to assume that the RBA quote is 30% higher if what I have seen on their end holds true out by you.

Nashville1957

#9 Post by Nashville1957 »

Original 1957 wood windows coming out. 1990’s storm windows coming off. Asked for full frame installation to be confirmed.

Is it common to price by the opening?

Is $1300/window reasonable on Okna 600?
Is $1600/window good for starmark?

ProVia Endure was only $800 on a pocket install. Any other quality brands to consider that might cost less? Or should I be happy paying a premium on a premium product?

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

We usually price by the opening as well. You want a full tear out because of the trim or are you concerned about glass loss?

Provia is decent, but not a comparable to the Okna in this case and definitely not the Starmark.

Nashville1957

#11 Post by Nashville1957 »

I’m concerned about glass loss. I like my trim. The storm windows and capping have done such a great job, the frames are in great shape. I was even considering sash packs. Do you think for the economics I should consider the pocket install?

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

If you currently have storms, I tell folks all the time that even though there will be a reduction in the size of the glass in the window, the overall opening will feel larger with the deletion of the storm window. That is the honest to goodness feedback we get and it makes sense when you look through the window just at any angle other than 90 degrees.

The storm window encroaches to the viewable quite a bit.

You can mark out on the window where the new frame and sash would end on the window and remove the storm window from that window and compare that to an original window with a storm. You might be surprised.

Nashville1957

#13 Post by Nashville1957 »

Thanks. So I just measured. And while the Okna 600’s in a pocket will loose 1” on each side from the original wood window, and I am still gaining at least another 1” in viewable area by ditching the storms. Those old things are so telescopic I’m loosing 2” right now.

I’ll ask about a pocket install. Does that go in from the front or back? My exterior trim is already capped so maybe I can keep all of that too.

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

Ideally it goes in from the exterior. They can probably cap back to your existing trim as I am guessing they didn't cap inside the storm window.

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

Totally reasonable, both of those window often fetch a much higher price-- as pocket installs. If these are quoted as full frames, that's good price for sure.

The Starmark is an absolute killer of a window, if your budget can accommodate, you really can't buy a better window. The Eco pro is very nice as well and stacks up favorably with just about all vinyl windows.

Did you like the dealer? If you had a good rapport with them and they have a good reputation I see no reason to subject yourself to additional sales pitches... Then again if you aren't fully sold, the Sunrise Restorations and Softlite Elements are very nice and comparable to the Eco pro.
No reason to consider provia IMO.