Help - Not sure if these PGT Aluminum windows that my GC is installing are correct for my home

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jeff33702

Help - Not sure if these PGT Aluminum windows that my GC is installing are correct for my home

#1 Post by jeff33702 »

I’ve been searching online but no luck finding specific answers to this.

I’m currently having these aluminum windows installed in my frame home. I’m wondering if these PGT are different from other fin windows - as, once installed, there is a trough at the top of the frame that holds water. It’s almost like it’s not meant to install the fins to the sheathing and perhaps meant to be recessed into an opening. The fins are integrated into the aluminum extrusion, not add on. I asked for aluminum windows and my contractor ordered them but I’m not sure if they’ve had much aluminum experience.

Included is a profile from the PGT drawings and then pictures of them as-installed in the house.
Screenshot 2023-12-19 103457.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-19 103457.jpg (18.67 KiB) Viewed 2144 times
IMG_8724.JPEG
IMG_8728.JPEG
IMG_8730.JPEG
After I raised my concern, the GC sees what I am seeing but is obviously reluctant to make a call that could be his mistake of not doing the proper homework when ordering. I believe he has reached out to the dealer who placed the order for him and we are waiting to hear back. Appreciate any info you guys have - especially if you have an supporting documents that clearly shows these can or can not be used on a frame home. PS - it's a remodel, but we scraped the stucco off down to the sheathing so it's a flat exterior.

jeff33702

Re: Help - Not sure if these PGT Aluminum windows that my GC is installing are correct for my home

#2 Post by jeff33702 »

PS - these are PGT HR7710A Winguard aluminum frame windows.
https://www.miamidade.gov/building/libr ... 062701.pdf

Thanks again
Jeff

Windows on Washington

Re: Help - Not sure if these PGT Aluminum windows that my GC is installing are correct for my home

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Have you called PGT?

I would start with them and see what they say.

jeff33702

#4 Post by jeff33702 »

I have been trying. Initially, I was told that they would no comment on installation at all, which is interesting. I convinced them to send my inquiry to their engineering side and their response seemed almost purposely confusing.
According to their recommendation, the Fin should be installed with sheathing over it. Additionally, regarding the cavity, they speculate that any discrepancies may be addressed during the later stages of installation, particularly once the units are securely in place.

To ensure the accuracy of this information and to obtain a comprehensive understanding of the installation process, further investigation and research may be required.
I've asked for clarification but have heard nothing back. They might be on holiday as well.

The GC would like to proceed as soon as possible with the siding (I would as well) but based on his "slight" concern (I think he is a little biased because he'd like to just make these work, where I want to ensure I have the correct windows) and it being my home and my money, I'm holding out to get someone from PGT to answer me or come on-site to take a look. The PGT windows do have some of their own issues and the GC has also done some things to tell me that they have little experience with these particular (aluminum) windows...so I need to get some answers sooner than later.