Replacement windows with slim frames?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
bryantwin

Replacement windows with slim frames?

#1 Post by bryantwin »

I have large aluminum picture windows (8ft x 8ft) with thin visible frames (about 1/2-inch), and want to maintain frames that are at least on the thinner side (e.g. less than 1-inch of visible frame). From what I can tell, I would need full replacements and not something like vinyl inserts. I am in the Seattle area, so I do care about thermal efficiency.

I've seen brands like Milgard A250 aluminum w/ thermal break, and Milgard V250 which seem to be a narrower vinyl, and finally Marvin Modern which seems to be a narrower fiberglass. I'm not sure where to start -- what brands, what installer to not overpay, etc. Not sure if there are better local options than these big brands, but it's a bit hard to find information online.

What should I look into? Are the modern aluminum frames "good enough"? Looking for any advice and recommendations. Thank you!

HomeSealed

Re: Replacement windows with slim frames?

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Where you are located will determine what material would be suitable, and also what products may be available.

Are the 8x8 windows one piece of glass, or are these 8x8 openings with a "bank of frames" within them. If the former, that can be a limiting factor as well.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Seattle Area.

Not sure that thermally improved aluminum is going to hit the mark on efficiency numbers for you, although, if the window is huge, it's mostly glass so you can rely on that.

That said, aluminum/metallic frames, will certainly have more condensation potential and it's not like you don't have high humidity out in the PNW.

There are some thinner frame vinyl windows out there, but we kind of need to know what the actual window format is as that will dictate size limitations. If not in vinyl, Fiberglass is going to be you next option in terms of thermal performance before you get back down to Aluminum.

bryantwin

#4 Post by bryantwin »

Yes, Seattle area, and currently experience condensation and pooling and mildew on my aluminum frames. The largest picture windows are 7ft x 7.5ft.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

The condensation resistance number is what you need to look for on the A250. Even though it can get Lower U- values, it is doing it via a low-E coating on the interior pane which is more prone to condensation than other glass packages. I couldn’t find those numbers , but thermally improved Aluminum has been around for awhile and unfortunately the introduction of Low-E on the inside surface has the same weakness even though it does boost the U-value to respectable performance numbers.

bryantwin

#6 Post by bryantwin »

Do you have a recommendation? I am not at all set on the A250, it's just what's easily findable online.

bryantwin

#7 Post by bryantwin »

Do you have a recommendation? I am not at all set on the A250, it's just what's easily findable online.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Thinnest frames out there in a non-vinyl that will have "decent" CR numbers...will be in the fiberglass space.

There are several manufacturers that have really good thermal numbers that you will want to take a peak at. We don't deal in them much here, so search for someone that will service West of the Rockies. InLine, Fibertec are a couple to start with.