What questions to ask?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Sonnie

What questions to ask?

#1 Post by Sonnie »

We built our home in 1999 and used the cheapest windows we could get at the local building supply. Of course, they look terrible now. They are hazed and beyond cleaning, and I suspect of any insulation use. They are all white and we have about 25 windows altogether... various sizes.

We are located in Luverne, AL ... southeast Alabama, about halfway between Montgomery and Dothan... 2.5 hours south of Birmingham and north of Mobile.

I see that Window World is huge in this area, and I see Champion and Provia offered by a couple of companies. A few don't say what brand... maybe a house brand of some sort. I really don't know if I'm possibly missing any good ones or not... Google is how I've been searching.

I am curious about the most important questions to ask when talking with reps from the window companies. We are in our 60s and don't plan on moving. I suppose it would be nice if the windows could outlast us and someone else worry about them after we are gone... if you know what I mean, but I don't want to have to worry about maintenance on them in 5-10 or even 15 years outside of cleaning them... no painting.

Thank you in advance!

Windows on Washington

Re: What questions to ask?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Thermal Performance
Air Infiltration
Design Pressure/Performance Grade
Sloped vs. Pocket sill

Installation methodologies and expertise.

Would stay away from the WW products based on the installation hit or miss of that model.

Sonnie

#3 Post by Sonnie »

Windows on Washington wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:16 am Thermal Performance
Air Infiltration
Design Pressure/Performance Grade
Sloped vs. Pocket sill

Installation methodologies and expertise.

Would stay away from the WW products based on the installation hit or miss of that model.
Thanks... is there a certain rating on on the first three listed that would be considered acceptable? I assume sloped sills are better than pocket.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

U-factor - Less than 0.30
Air Infiltration - Less than 0.06
DP - PG 40 or better

Sonnie

#5 Post by Sonnie »

Windows on Washington wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:48 pm U-factor - Less than 0.30
Air Infiltration - Less than 0.06
DP - PG 40 or better
Thank you!

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Roger that. Good luck and post up with updates.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Just for the sake of others reading this, I'd add (@WoW correct me if you disagree), that those ratings are based on the OP's location in AL.

For instance, up here in cold WI we'd be looking for a much better minimum u value. Really looking for .20 or lower (triple pane glass, eligible for Energy Star tax credit), but for comparison sake something like a .26 or .27 at worst in double pane config. I like to see a little bit tighter air infiltration rating in this neck of the woods as well.

Other than that, +100 on the premise of using thermal and structural ratings as a major factor in comparison. They tell you which window will perform better, and generally speaking are great indicators of which window will last longer and of overall quality.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Yes. Based on Alabama climate folks.

Anything that has any part of a winter should be looking at more thermal resistance in the assembly.