Brands to consider for Denver Colorado

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
MattA

Brands to consider for Denver Colorado

#1 Post by MattA »

Hey everyone, I have been looking into and researching replacement windows for a few months now. I have settled on DIYing them as the installed cost has always been 4x the cost of the window from the 3 quotes I got.

I am not really sure what brand I should even looking into as I have been getting conflicting information from different installers and retailers about milgard and simonton. Some say they have to ship with capillary tubes and some say they don’t. Amerimax seems to be in an odd state right now as they were bought out. I was looking into Alside 80, but it seems like everyone here does not recommend them.

Anyone have suggestions with brands to look into? CO seems to be an odd area for windows as we are the West coast, but that means they would have to go though the Rockys and that can cause issues. I am wanting to do casements if that makes a difference.

Windows on Washington

Re: Brands to consider for Denver Colorado

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

That is unfortunate about Amerimax as they were well regarded.

In the Milgard vs. Simonton, depends on the model but kind of a toss up between the two to be honest.

Not sure I put the Alside on that short list to be honest.

MattA

#3 Post by MattA »

Windows on Washington wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:15 pm That is unfortunate about Amerimax as they were well regarded.

In the Milgard vs. Simonton, depends on the model but kind of a toss up between the two to be honest.

Not sure I put the Alside on that short list to be honest.
Yeah they were bought out by Cascade. Not sure how things will be changing with both brands.

I don’t think I will go with milgard or simonton because it is a 50/50 if the dealer will even give me the option of gas because they ship from the west coast and in the Rocky’s they will hit 10k feet.

Been looking a bit more today and it seems like Alpen windows are well regarded. They are local too so no gas issues. Sounds like they recently made the option of non metal spacers too.

Any other brands or lines I should look into?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Alpen seems to be a solid brand.

charlatan

#5 Post by charlatan »

Thanks for posting this. I too live in Colorado (Denver) and have been immersed in this window swamp for a few weeks. Have you managed to come to some preferences on specs? I am curious about things like;
1) What's your U factor target? We've had a few really cold winters (last year especially).
2) SHGC target?

Thanks for throwing Alpen out there, I hadn't really looked at them.

Some of my thoughts;
1) I've been looking at Fiberglass mostly based on durability and the fact that one can paint it (should myself or future owners decide to). I am not made of money, however, and Fiberglass may be beyond my budget.
2) For SHGC, I've been considering going super low on East / West and maybe south. North I don't care so much. Does it save me much if anything?
3) I am a MASSIVE fan of casement windows. I may mix casement and single hung based on location and exposure.... I hear this is more common these days?

Brands I have been considering are mainly Marvin and Milgard. I may need to add Alpen to the mix.u

Doing some digging....
I've been looking for local window manufacturers... not many to chose from. IF I were to look at vinyl, it looks like Sunrise (now part of MI windows and doors) are all manufactured east of Colorado. No 10k feet of elevation to travel. They also have really good reviews here.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Anything I would be considering I would want to NOT have to paint. The finishing process on fiberglass should give you a paint that should easily last 20+ years.

You can certainly mix glazing for SHGC, but I would think that at 10K feet of altitude...you are going with all triple pane in this case.

charlatan

#7 Post by charlatan »

Windows on Washington wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:15 am Anything I would be considering I would want to NOT have to paint. The finishing process on fiberglass should give you a paint that should easily last 20+ years.

You can certainly mix glazing for SHGC, but I would think that at 10K feet of altitude...you are going with all triple pane in this case.
Thanks WOW.
I may be off base here, but my elevation is 5,280ft. I think what Matt A is suggesting, along with myself, is if we pick a manufacturer west of Denver, the windows need to make a trip over at LEAST 2 passes that hit 10,000 ft. If I order from, say, Ohio, no passes to traverse (and maybe no capillaries?)

About painting, I don't expect I'd paint them. Rather, dark colors are all the rage these days. If I were to sell the house, at least it offers the next owner the flexibility to paint them if they want. It's entirely possible I am WAAY overthinking this.

Question for you : If my budget was such that I could pick;
1) A lower spec fiberglass window while foregoing the casement design in some areas of the house, OR
2) A higher spec vinyl window and being able to afford all casement windows...
Which option would be better? Is vinyl really that much worse than fiberglass in this instance?

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Dark bronze is all the rage. On the capillary tubes, I would check with the supplier as to what they need to do. I thought some of them were made at altitude.

Really depends on what the lower spec is and what you want the look to be. No reason not to use a quality vinyl product if it meets your aesthetic requirements.

charlatan

#9 Post by charlatan »

Windows on Washington wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:23 am Dark bronze is all the rage. On the capillary tubes, I would check with the supplier as to what they need to do. I thought some of them were made at altitude.

Really depends on what the lower spec is and what you want the look to be. No reason not to use a quality vinyl product if it meets your aesthetic requirements.
Thanks. I've derailed the topic MattA started.
MattA didn't specify what materials but here's the list I have;

Fiberglass -
- Anderson 100
- Kolby Forgent
- Fiberframe Comfort line
- Pella Impervia
- Milgard Ultra
- Alpen

Vinyl -

- Milgard
- Alside
- MI (now Sunrise too)
- Prime Window systems
- Simonton
- Pella
- Great Lakes
- Cascade

Off the table;
- Amerimax (no longer made)

EDIT - Amerimax removed as they're no longer in business.

Some of these I know nothing about. Amerimax might be my target since they are made locally but I am not sure on quality.
Last edited by charlatan on Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Of the two materials categories, I'd stick to these.

Kolby Fogent
Alpen
Milgard Ultra

or

Amerimax
Milgard
MI (maybe)

charlatan

#11 Post by charlatan »

Windows on Washington wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:12 pm Of the two materials categories, I'd stick to these.

Kolby Fogent
Alpen
Milgard Ultra

or

Amerimax
Milgard
MI (maybe)
Thanks a TON for that feedback.
I was going to dive into the MI brand, what with Sunrise being bought by them. If they've started down the path of cost cutting I fear the quality may not be the same.

EDIT: Any thoughts on ProVia or Anlin?
EDIT2: My goal is still to get casement windows.. maybe mixed a bit with double hung.

charlatan

#12 Post by charlatan »

charlatan wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:03 pm
Thanks. I've derailed the topic MattA started.
MattA didn't specify what materials but here's the list I have;

Fiberglass -
- Anderson 100
- Kolby Forgent
- Fiberframe Comfort line
- Pella Impervia
- Milgard Ultra
- Alpen

Vinyl -
- Amerimax
- Milgard
- Alside
- MI (now Sunrise too)
- Prime Window systems
- Simonton
- Pella
- Great Lakes
- Cascade

Some of these I know nothing about. Amerimax might be my target since they are made locally but I am not sure on quality.
Follow up on this list... Apparently Amerimax has closed up shop.

If I want to hunt down Milgard or MI (sunrise), I'll have to do so elsewhere.
They do offer Simonton (Madeira and Daylight) and the Kolby Forgent. It wasn't a high pressure sales pitch, and he was actually kind of impressed with the condition of my windows that came with the house (22 years ago). They spoke very highly of the Kolby Forgent.
He also kindly reminded me that my HOA may have something to say about casement windows, so I need to hunt that down.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

Anlin is pretty well regarded. Would only add that one to the list of the two that you mentioned.

charlatan

#14 Post by charlatan »

Windows on Washington wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:25 am Anlin is pretty well regarded. Would only add that one to the list of the two that you mentioned.
Thanks for adding that feedback. You must've been reading my mind. :)

I am trying to dive into just how big a deal this capillary thing is for windows shipped here. If I am giving away Argon slowly over the years that's definitely not optimal.

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

In theory, the gas leakage isn't supposed to continue happening. Argon costs you about 20% in efficiency if its all gone.