Why is my window brown between panes?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Jersey David

Why is my window brown between panes?

#1 Post by Jersey David »

My mom noticed her bay window was brown today. She lost the paperwork and had a friend of a friend install it. She thinks it was put in about 5 years ago. When doing research, trying to find the brand, this forum came up and I read some posts by Delaware Mike. We are in south jersey so I decided I’d give it a shot and ask on here. Any way to identify the glass for a warranty claim? Would the warranty not be honored due to loosing the paperwork? Anyone know the cause or a fix?
Thank you!
2BEDF506-4E58-4654-ADE5-C7D5C5C597A3.png
E5CA32A0-8CDB-4D5B-985A-E15779C2562C.jpeg
C6CA444E-815A-482C-A488-E712C6E2C4D6.jpeg

Delaware Mike

Re: Why is my window brown between panes?

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

That's the common failure of the Sashlite glazing tech/system from North East Building Products out of Philadelphia right off of 95S just north of the city. What you have is failure of the white vinyl spacer that implemented into the casement sash, this allows moisture to contact the low-e coating and it discolors into a metallic brownish/copper like color on that side of the lite of glass. Easy fix if their Sashlite equipment is still up and running as they will make you a new sash after you give them all of the codes off the window. The casement sash is removed from the master frame and the new one put in. It's just unhooking the arms with a little lock nub and a guide out of a stainless steel coped out attachment plate. North East had to switch glazing practices after Sashlite became sort of extinct mainly do to these issues I'm guessing and at least they woke up and are now utilizing TPS and maybe some economy Intercept in the lower lines. That is a Crusader series unit that you have.

Jersey David

#3 Post by Jersey David »

Delaware Mike wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:07 am That's the common failure of the Sashlite glazing tech/system from North East Building Products out of Philadelphia right off of 95S just north of the city. What you have is failure of the white vinyl spacer that implemented into the casement sash, this allows moisture to contact the low-e coating and it discolors into a metallic brownish/copper like color on that side of the lite of glass. Easy fix if their Sashlite equipment is still up and running as they will make you a new sash after you give them all of the codes off the window. The casement sash is removed from the master frame and the new one put in. It's just unhooking the arms with a little lock nub and a guide out of a stainless steel coped out attachment plate. North East had to switch glazing practices after Sashlite became sort of extinct mainly do to these issues I'm guessing and at least they woke up and are now utilizing TPS and maybe some economy Intercept in the lower lines. That is a Crusader series unit that you have.
Thank you for all of the information! It’s great to hear because she was assuming she needs to replace the window. Is there usually a spot to look for the codes they need? I don’t see anything inside or outside, only the sticker I showed on the inside of the side windows that swing open. Is this a repair that you would do? Or recommend anyone else in the area if not?

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

The windows should have two stickers. I cheap white Avery printer like in-house label up in the head cavity when one lowers the top sash down, however I've seen them on the sides of the sashes too. That has all of the information regarding the order and specs for NEBP to start to make up a new OEM sash. There can be a testing cert label that is more of a gold or silver foil with AAMA, Keystone, or NAMI on it which doesn't help much.

Best to call them Monday morning. Let me know how you make out. What town are you in?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

That sashlite "idea" looked so good on paper from the minimization of parts...but the reality is that the failure rate on that glass is supremely high. Depending on how many you have replaced right now, plan on a bunch more.

Mike...are they even still around.

Jersey David

#6 Post by Jersey David »

The only sticker I can find is the one I posted. Would that be it? The window that has turned brown is the big middle one which doesn’t open. The two side windows swing out.

We are located outside of Elmer, NJ.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

Most of the NEBP locally to the Tri-State area were sold and installed through Power. However, they were in certain local lumberyards and many GC's would install them in Cumberland County. NEBP is sold through Plowmans in Millville also. Being in Elmer, there is a main distributor for those windows within 5-minutes from you called Willpower. Owner is very nice. If you call NEBP up in Philly they should be able to get you on the right path.