Sound dampening not up to spec

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
daniel_fl

Sound dampening not up to spec

#1 Post by daniel_fl »

Hi, just wondering what my options are if a window installation is not up to spec wrt sound.
I have a set of Simonton Storm Breaker Plus impact windows in Florida (they cost a lot).

The literature mentions an STC rating of 36 but I live on a busy street and can hear everything outside through closed and locked windows. I contacted the manufacturer who confirmed the order number and says the laminate was applied in the factory, but something seems wrong. There is also some questionable workmanship; sloppy welds and trim work, and a random hole drilled into one of the frames.

The contractor who installed them has flat out ignored, not even acknowledged the concern when I mentioned it.
What can I do? Thanks for any help.

HomeSealed

Re: Sound dampening not up to spec

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

A poor installation can create air leakage and pretty much negate(or at least reduce) the benefit of the laminated glass for sound mitigation purposes. Based on your comments about the installers, there's a decent chance that this is the at least part of your issue.

If you can get a factory rep to come take a look they should be able to verify that the glass is correct and also provide commentary on the installation.

daniel_fl

#3 Post by daniel_fl »

Great advice, thanks a lot.
They have a lifetime warranty as well which maybe could apply.

Ricknez

#4 Post by Ricknez »

Just a thought, sound can be coming through walls as well.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Need to look at wall mass as well as the attic. But like HomeSealed said...if the window leaks air...it will leak sound as well.

Part of the reason that a tighter window will outperform one that isn't as tight if all other things are equal.

daniel_fl

#6 Post by daniel_fl »

Thanks both for the additional insight.

It's a block home and makes the leakage from the windows even more pronounced.
The attic may be a factor though. I am reaching out to the mfg again to see if I can get them out here.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Figured as much being in Florida.

Easiest way to kind of check the attic is go into a closet or a room without a window and shut the door. If you still hear the noise, check the ceiling plane.

If that isn't it...then the window isn't sealing well and leaking a bunch of air. Simonton's "ARE NOT" known for being "airtight" as it is, but that would be the likely source if its window related.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:10 am

If that isn't it...then the window isn't sealing well and leaking a bunch of air. Simonton's are known for being "airtight" as it is, but that would be the likely source if its window related.
I think you meant AREN'T...

daniel_fl

#9 Post by daniel_fl »

This is kind of what I was afraid of tbh.
The installation looks ok, the edges are sealed fine on both sides and appear professional.

edit: Opinions on any of these?
www.amazon.com/Window-Soundproofing/s?k ... ndproofing