Gorell Replacement Windows

Share your experiences with others
rbrettler

Gorell Replacement Windows

#1 Post by rbrettler »

I had Gorell 5100 Replacement Double-Hung windows installed this past summer. I posted a a question to Gorell about this problem, but have not received a reply... Anyway, I'm getting a heavy draft from the left and right tilt-in latches and to help remedy this problem I had to stuff a few cotton balls in the inside track. Also, I wished the installer would have insulated around the window instead of relying on the little foam strip around the window. Has anyone had similiar problems? I'm curious if others are happy with the Gorell 5100 Replacement window? What course of action should I take?

windowmann2000

#2 Post by windowmann2000 »

I'm guessing from your post that to the right and left of your tilt in keys where the sash meets the main frame is your problem. if so your not alone this is a weakness in engineering, or maybe I should say it's quite common. Some mfrg's don't use a interlock because of drafts in that area, but thats not always the answer either. What I and many others do is provide a small pad with weatherstripping on one side and an adhesive on the other side. This pad if correctly installed, usually satisfies the customer. It also would'nt hurt for the installer to check and see if everythings ok with the install.

XSleeper

#3 Post by XSleeper »

The Gorell 5100 is Gorell's cheapest model. The old adage is, "you get what you pay for". You might be experiencing channelling- wind coming up the side extrusions, past the pivot shoe, and you are feeling the breeze come up out of the side extrusion near the tilt releases. There may be a simple solution to your problem. If you raise the windows up about halfway and then tip them down for cleaning, look in the track and see if there are T-shaped foam pads inside the track on the left and right sides. Occasionally these pads get flipped sideways and then they won't seal up very well.

I hope I'm right... it's possible I could be thinking of another window that has foam pads.

The only other thing to check would be to see if the windows are spread out in the center. There are tiny shims located in the jamb of the window (you turn a tiny flat screwdriver to tighten or loosen them). To check them, measure across the top, middle and bottom of the window, and compare those measurements to see if they are the same. You should check the inside of the window... adjust those shims, then check the outside of the window... and adjust those shims. If and adjustment needs to be made, you can adjust those center shims by turning the screws. Of course if the caulking has set up, it might not move much.

A window that is out of square could also cause a lot of air leakage. To check this, open the window then bring it until it is almost closed, and you can see 1/8" of light between the sash and the frame. The gap should be nice and straight. It should not be 1/8 on one side and 1/4 on the other. If there is a noticable difference, it's likely that the window has been installed out of square and you should complain to the installer because a window that is out of square will not close nice and tight, and you might also have problems with it locking eventually.